Best breeds to get along

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SWMontanaChick, Mar 29, 2012.

1. SWMontanaChick

SWMontanaChick New Egg

Mar 29, 2012
    Clancy, Montana
    I'm interested in getting Wyandottes,Dominiques and Chanteclers, but don't want fighting. Which breeds get along the best?

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    They wont fight if raised together. I'd ask specifically on the Dominique Thread how well they take to new introductions to a flock. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/301766/dominique-thread/10

Being of the type that is excellent forager and individual nature they may be like RIR's in that they are great around humans, don't take much fussing from rooster (which is funny to watch) and are the absolute hardest on new introductions to the flock. My RIR's are so friendly too, you'd not think they'd be so mean on the newbies, beyond what other chickens pecked, they'd bite and ride new chickens or bite their combs. But that ends in a week or two and they all become flock mate buddies.

3. SWMontanaChick

SWMontanaChick New Egg

Mar 29, 2012
    Clancy, Montana
    Thank you so much for your prompt response....much appreciated. I've very interested in the heritage breeds, but don't want 'fights' LOL.

4. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    I don't know about Chanteclers, but my wyandottes are the most agressive of my breeds. I have silver and gold laced wyandottes and although they will be with me forever, I would not get more. As they age, they are settling down, but they are the least friendly of all my hens. My delawares, orpingtons, and australorpe have similiar docile temperments.

5. SWMontanaChick

SWMontanaChick New Egg

Mar 29, 2012
    Clancy, Montana
    Thank you so much for your input...much appreciated..!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by