Best breeds?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by MjsChickens, May 23, 2017.

1. MjsChickens

MjsChickens Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2017
    United States
    My Coop
    Hello! I already messed up on thread creating, so bear with me. I am searching for a breed that is very docile and friendly, and it would be super fun to have a best friend or someone to cuddle with ;)
    My issue is that I need a high egg production, preferably 4-5 eggs per week. It would be great if they were fast growing, since I am getting them sorta late, about mid-June, and I will be getting chicks. They will probably be kept in a coop with a large pen around it. Unusual looking breeds are fine, but I would like a breed that doesn't cost a lot. My last problem is that I will be living in an area with a high predator population, and I will do my best, but it would be better if they have some decent survival instincts. Hopefully I didn't just make a posting mistake again :fl Thank you to everyone in advance.

2. sassysarah123

sassysarah123 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    Brahmas! Mine are so sweet and friendly!
    They were just sleeping in my lap not long ago! The girl in my avatar is my brahma!

MjsChickens likes this.
  3. sassysarah123

sassysarah123 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    I can post more pics of you like!

4. MjsChickens

MjsChickens Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2017
    United States
    My Coop
    They sound very docile, but I am slightly concerned about egg laying. I know they're not the highest egg layers, but do they at least lay consistently?

5. thunderclast

thunderclast Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2017
    Portland, Oregon
    My Coop
    Well you have two goals that are at odds. A friendly chicken is likely to get killed by predators, but a chicken with good survival instincts won't want to cuddle you. If you want a friendly cuddly chicken, go with Buff Orphingtons. If you want a chicken with survival instincts, I say RIR. Both produce a good number of eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by