Best brooder in my opinion

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by FireGurl26, May 11, 2016.

1. FireGurl26

FireGurl26 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2016
    U.P. Michigan
    [​IMG]

This is my box brooder. I absolutely love it. I like how the food and water is on the outside of the cage so no poop gets in. And the pull out tray underneath wire mesh floor, i line with newspaper and clean it out in a snap every morning. So, one day old chicks can walk on wire mesh floor and droppings fall into tray below. Plus i got an extender for grow-out pen which makes the height like 14" (I add the extender when they reach 4 weeks old) to hold em up till i put em in the coop at 5 to 6 weeks old. Convenient and cleaner. Plus the brooder holds a pretty accurate temp. with the wafer thermostat and thermometer. The feeder and waterer slides are adjustable to fit the growing chick. Just have to be careful to keep it not too high or they can squeeze out. Also has place for 2 red bulbs to attract the chicks to the heater above. Alot safer to me...than using a heat lamp and having to raise or lower it. Just my 2 cents, lol.

2. JetCat

JetCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2015
    Southeast Alabama
    i've got 5 of them stacked in a battery, my only complaint is the door should be on a 36" side rather then the 30" side to make catching the chicks out of it a lot easier, it's not an issue on the top one with the lids that can be removed but in the stacked configuration the bottom 4 are a pain in the butt to catch chicks out of.

3. micah wotring

micah wotring Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2015
    WV boy here!
    Yes, they are nice. I have a three level stack on wheels. Mine has doors on three sides and a feeder/waterer trough fits on each of those three sides. Also with mine I can slide out the poop tray and the wire tray and put chicks in the level below when they get too big. This way they have two levels of head room. I have never had all three levels full but I might soon. I have 6 chicks, 9 turkey poults, will be getting a few ducklings, a few quail, and a few Jersey Giants soon.

I am thinking that maybe it would be a good idea for breeding quail? IDK wee shall see.

I read someplace that with poultry if you keep them in a brooder where you have to reach in from the side to get them they will be calmer than if you keep them in a brooder that you have to reach in from the top like a tub. They say it has something to do with their predators. Like Swooping owls, diving hawks, and pouncing foxes.
    I am going to do an experiment and raise half of the chicks in the three level brooder and raise half in a watering trough and see which are tamer after i move them to the coop.

Anyway I have one of these and I love it.

Micah

4. JetCat

Oct 26, 2015
    Southeast Alabama
    i had some old ones about 30 yrs ago that the side doors slid open too, but on the newer ones (last 10 yrs) they are there, but you can't slide them open.

5. micah wotring

Apr 6, 2015
    WV boy here!
    Yea mine is like 50+ years old.

No seriously. My granddad says he bought it brand new even before my dad was born and my dad is now 48.

It's actually kinda funny because when I first looked at the picture at the top of the thread I thought that it was nothing like mine. I then realized that the pic is of a brand new one, shiny and all.

The wire above the feeders/waterers is on a hinge at the top. Actually they're one small panel of wire with hooks at the top. So, you can take them off if you want too and so that there is a door on all three sides.

I will take a few pics next time I check on my turkey poults.

Micah

6. FireGurl26

May 4, 2016
    U.P. Michigan
    I heard that they do well with quails. I think you just have to use the paper they give you for the first week as they are too small for the wire floor at the beginning.

It seems, going by what i have noticed with mine... that they seem calmer when I go in through the back or sides than from the top as you stated. I just love the ease of cleaning the brooder.

7. FireGurl26

May 4, 2016
    U.P. Michigan
  8. micah wotring

Apr 6, 2015
    WV boy here!
    I have 9 bourbon red turkeys, 6 bantam chicks, and 3 silkies split between top and bottom.

After just 2 or 3 days of handling them all the same I can already see a difference.

The ones that I reached in from the side are much calmer and will even let me hold them without trying to get away.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your experiences.

MW

1 person likes this.
  9. JetCat

Oct 26, 2015
    Southeast Alabama

The DACB is too slick even with the rough side up for quail (and ducks/turkey/chickens/etc...) and will cause splayed leg. Line the wire with paper towels for the first 5 days with quail. Use the DACB in the litter tray.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by