1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Best broodies? (and incubator?)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chickensrock10110, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Chickensrock10110

Chickensrock10110 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2009
    Hawaii
    OK, I have read that cochins, silkies and BO are good setters.I have seramas that are laying crazy right now and I have a total of 9 hens that went broody somwhere withinthe last few days.I have all the breeds listed above but which would be best for seramas?I heard that BOs and standard cochins are to big--but I do have 2 standards and 1 bantam cochin that is broody.I heard silkies are OK but they can`t incubate as many eggs.Any ideas as to which I should use?

I also plan on gettin a `bator.Is there any specific incubator that is good for serama eggs?I have alot of hens and I plan to incubate every egg they lay this year!! Maybe a maxiumum of 200 eggs?I want an incubator thats easy to use.I`ve heard about the ones where you "just add eggs and water" but those are small incubatorsthat hold only a few dozen eggs.Maybe a dickey ,sportsman or a brinsea?But is there a specific model that is the best?

2. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    In my experience bantam cochins have been the ultimate incubators. Silkies work great too but the other hens tend to bully them and sometimes I've had them bullied off the nest, also they don't do the best at defending their chicks since they tend to have vision problems and are typically low ranking, if you have them separated they do wonderfully.

As far as incubators go, you get what you pay for. Since you are going big I would recommend a Sportsman or a Brinsea. The cheapy styrofoam ones tend to be unrliable and aren't really the best to reuse.

3. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    I heard alot of good things about the Genesis 1588 so thats what I got, haven't used it yet though. And I sure know nothing about broodies yet so can't help there! Good luck with what ever you choose![​IMG]

4. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    well, i would get a big incubator possibly a cabinet incubator from brinsea, they have great bators, and seramas are good broodies for their eggs, silkies and cochin bantams do good as well

5. Ryu

Ryu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    That's a bunch of eggs. I am making my first serious attempt at using a Brinsea Ova incubator right now (I am listening to it turn as I type). I used a Hovabator (no fan, no turner) previously with good results.

I am not a fan of standard Cochins. We had a trio of three hens we were going to use to hatch eggs. They stomped the heck out of the chicks when they were born. We had a terrible time with one hen keeping a very dirty nest.

My standard Cornish, make wonderful setting hens. My best girl, Fiona, hasn't lost a fertile egg yet.

6. Chickensrock10110

Chickensrock10110 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2009
    Hawaii
    Quote:Well let me know how the Brinsea Ova goes. I have seen it on the website before and it`s so professional looking.I was planning to get a few hovabators for now.If I dont use a turner, does the constant opening of the `bator hurt the eggs? Is it better to invest in a fan and a turner or does it make a difference?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  7. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    i have 5 lgs and a 1292 and a 1266 sportsman cabinet bator i have 26 dozen eggs set

8. Ryu

Ryu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Quote:I will let you know how we are doing I set them on the 14th, so I will be candling on the 22nd to remove non fertiles.

The Brinsea's look great, but it's really just a metal frame with Styrofoam walls and floor. The door is junk, and it doesn't seal well. My unit has thermal layering even with the fan. There is a 1 degree drop from the top shelf to the bottom. I was expecting more considering the $$$$. Having seen the Brinsea now, I think I would have rather had a Hovabator with a fan and turner to incubate, and used my no frills Hovabator for hatching.

But I'm not going to be hatching 200 eggs.

I am enjoying the turner in the Brinsea unit, but I do not think that opening the Hovabator to turn eggs is a big deal--200 eggs would be a lot of turning however. I only ever put 3 dozen in my Hovabator at a time.

We bought the Brinsea because we were going to be setting a lot of small batches. So the plan is to keep the Brinsea for incubating, and the Hovabator for hatching.

Anyway, I'll let you know how it goes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by