Best Broodies

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by callnfowl, Jan 18, 2014.

1. callnfowl

callnfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2013
    I am in need of a new broody. My old Barred Cochin has hatched and raised several broods of chicks and ducklings, but she hasn't gone broody for a year and I think she may be done. I've heard good things about Buff Orpingtons and, of course, Silkies. I need a bird that will sit at least a couple of times a year, can handle smallish clutches of both chicken and duck eggs, and will raise the babies until they are ready to join the flock.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Game hens are good setters and extremely protective mothers. They are big enough to cover quite a few eggs yet light enough that they rarely crack or crush eggs.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Game hens, cochins, and silkies are usually pretty dependable. I never had much luck with hatchery Orpingtons. After talking with some other folks on this board, I'm leaning toward getting some Dark Cornish hens for broodies this year. My little cochin ladies are showing their years also, plus they're bantams and I want a larger hen who can cover more eggs.

4. mindylee

mindylee Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2012
    Lapeer Michigan
    I swear by cochins!

I've had as many as 27 broodies at once. There is always broodies at all times of the yr in my coop. Currently I have 14.

Love my cochin bantams!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by