best broody breed????????***?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by shmooborp, May 18, 2008.

1. shmooborp

shmooborp artistic fowlism

what are your opinions on the best BROODY breeds.. or the breeds that go broody the most..lol same dif. [​IMG] thanks! [​IMG]

2. chicken_boy_Kurt

chicken_boy_Kurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    Silkie, cochin, and orpington. Game breeds are great too. And of course the original chicken, the red junglefowl.

3. shmooborp

thats good cuz i have silkies and cochins in the bator now... already have orpingtons [​IMG] will a bird go broody once she has all the eggs? or after she lays the first egg of the cluch?

4. shmooborp

does anyone else think so?

5. alex

alex Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Silkie for sure.......

6. alex

alex Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    She is broody when she starts sitting on the eggs, and while she makes the eggs.

7. apbgv

apbgv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Iowa
    I would have to agree silkies I had one that was broody for 6 wks, just decided to give it up, molting bad now:lol: One who has been sitting for 3 wks, and 1 who is just starting, mind you they have been sitting on NOTHING, I collect eggs every day.[​IMG]

8. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    i don't have silkies, but i've heard from everybody who knows lots about chicken breeds that they are the best and most sure broodies. [​IMG]

9. Double-T-Family-Farm

Double-T-Family-Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Midwest, Wisconsin
    silkies... but we had some mixbred laying hens taht went broody last year.. one was setting from mid april- end of august.. shed hatch some out and we would stick more eggs under her [​IMG]

10. Crunchie

Crunchie Brook Valley Farm

Mar 1, 2007
    Maryland
    Some lines of Cuckoo Marans are really prone to going broody their second year of laying. Not as sure of a thing as a Silkie or a Cochin, probably...but I have 2 second-year hens and one is seriously broody!! The other has tried, but was easily broken up. The one, however, she was really serious so I let her sit a clutch. She's hatched me out 7 chicks--
    ALL PULLETS!!!!--in the past couple of weeks. She laid a couple of eggs herself, then later stole some from her nest-mate, so they hatched at different times. The first chick she hatched I guess she didn't know what to do with and kicked it out of the nest to freeze. I barely got the chick into the brooder in time, but she's doing well. After that one failed attempt at being a good mother she seemed to get the hang of it. So much so you pretty much risk life and limb to get the chicks out from underneath of her!! [​IMG] If I had her in a better set up I might have let her keep the chicks, but she's in her tractor with another hen and their roo, and it's just best for me to put the chicks in a brooder and raise them myself.

She doesn't show any signs of giving up, she's been sitting for over 5 weeks. She's hatched everything that she had, I'm thinking of making her her own private pen/nest box and giving her something else to set--the fact that she's hatched nothing but pullets??? She must be lucky!! [​IMG]

Nice big hens though, the Marans--you can fit a lot of eggs underneath of them, if you want to hatch several large fowl eggs at a time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by