best broody breeds.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by SLWyandotte, Feb 23, 2011.

1. SLWyandotte

SLWyandotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Chatom, Alabama
    haven't had chickens in a while. had a couple RIR hens for 4-H many years ago. they wouldn't set at all. had some "yard chickens" (mutts) as well that set ok. i'm wanting to hatch my own chicks but i'm lazy and want mamma to do the work. i'm going to have to do it the first time and have 25 day old straight run wyandottes arriving on the 3rd. chose them for being dual purpose and frequently broody. i've looked at the breed index. but i was wanting some more input. please list the breeds that you think are the best broody hens. 1 to 10 scale on frequency, mothering skills?(best mammas), and likely hood of the breed to adopt chicks if she has been setting golf balls for a week or 2. so 3 different ratings. i don't care if they are good layers just good mammas. best daddy roo breeds would be welcome too.

2. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    My Buff Orpington from Ideal went broody when she was only 8 months old. She is a really good mom. I only have one rooster and he is a phoenix and he's pretty good with the chicks.

3. spiritdance

spiritdance Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    I don't know if size is an issue for you, but you really can't beat Silkies for broody hens! Not only will they sit as many eggs as they can fit, they're great moms and will adopt extra chicks without hesitation.

4. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    American Gamefowl and most other Gamefowl would be the best as far as natural maternal instinct and protectivity and ability to sucessfully raise chicks on free range.

5. wingsofglory

wingsofglory Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2011
    Palmer Alaska
    My Silver Lace Wyndottes never went broody, nor did any of my Easter Eggers, Buff Orps, Barred Rocks, Brahmas. Of course I didn't expect the RIR or Comets to go broody.

So I researched broodies, and ordered a Columbian Wyndotte from Ideal. They are known for broodiness. She went broody several weeks after starting to lay. And hatched the chicks out successfully and was a good mom till they were all feathered out and able to get on their own. She laid for two or three months and went broody again.

6. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    My clean shank cuckoo marans are great brooders and mothers. I have one due to hatch off on Monday. She set for 2 weeks on nothing,waiting for me to set her. I don't think she's been off the eggs more than a few times. I finally changed her food after the first week because it didn't look like she touched it. They are good,calm mothers,but i have had the occasional one that would try to take your hand off if you came close. They are also good layerws and dual purpose birds.
    [​IMG]

7. pride&joy

pride&joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Games of most kinds would be my pic, I have several games from Assil, Shamo, American and Spanish and they all do a great job of rearing chicks and seem to be broody all the time.

[​IMG]img]

[​IMG]mg]

8. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

I've read that Chanteclers are good broodies and I hope to have at least a few hens soon! We'll see how that works out! I too like to have hens do the hard work for me. [​IMG]

9. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    We have american games.They are great setters,brooders,and moms. Beats a bo hands,err wings down.And I know this because I have both.

[​IMG]
    "ARE YOU TALKING TO ME!?"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by