Best broody egglayer?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by bantamkelley, Nov 30, 2011.

1. bantamkelley

bantamkelley Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2011
    What is the best brown egglayer that goes broody often and is under 7 lbs when adult? I was thinking sussex but I'm inexpirienced.

2. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

My bantam cochins lay brown eggs and go broody pretty often and make great mamas. The eggs are about 1.4- 1.5 oz and they are pretty productive for bantams. Most of mine weigh just under 3 lbs.

If you want Large fowl, most Australorps and orpingtons I have known went broody occasionally, lay brown eggs, and are in the 6 lbs range.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  3. Eggs-quisite Eggs-cursion

Eggs-quisite Eggs-cursion Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2011
    Quote:All chickens are different and my backyard and coop is different from yours, etc. It's hard to compare.

However, my 2 1/2 year old Sussexes aren't good broodies at all. I have two. One went broody once this summer. She sat on the eggs in an old unused outbuilding. She had nothing to show for it when she came off the nest.

My Black Copper Marans, brown egg layers, I have about 7 of them, and quite a few went broody each summer. I can't remember how many I had hatch out chicks, but they can do it and raise chicks, too. I think about three have hatched chicks.

Problem: I haven't weighed the Black Copper Marans hens. I don't think there's any real chance that any of mine are over 7 lbs when adult since the French standard is 5.7 - 7 lbs. But who knows? They certainly aren't any bigger than my Sussex.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  4. Wnunezcruz

Wnunezcruz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Tennessee
    The copper marans lay beautiful chocolate colored eggs and go broody but they weigh at least 7 to 8 pounds. Silkies are awesome brokered but lay small eggs.

5. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    I think it depends on what is more important to you, the broodiness or the egglaying. A hen that goes broody often isn't going to lay many eggs! If you want a good broody then I would just get a silkie and get some red or black sex links for lots of brown eggs.

6. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I agree with Highlander.

My best broodies are Brahmas, but they spend most of their time sitting on eggs rather than laying them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by