Best Broody from my Breeds?

SouthernBYChickens

Chirping
8 Years
Dec 7, 2011
Alabama
Thinking about getting a rooster or two this summer to let my kids see the whole process of laying the fertilized eggs, to hen sitting on them, to them hatching out. I only want to have pure breeds so here is my question: In your opinion, which breed of my pure bred hens (their only 8 weeks old now), but which breed do you think is a more broody breed? I have RIRs, Silver-Laced Wyandottes, Golden-Laced Wyandottes, Delawares, and Dominiques. Thanks for your opinions!!

EDITED*******Let me ask it this way, if you were going to breed one of my breeds listed above, which breed would you get a boyfriend for hoping for the best results overall??? Thanks!!!

Last edited:
A lot depends on the strain. If they are hatchery birds the hatchery is likely selecting for birds that are not excessively broody.
Wyandottes are usually broodier than the other breeds you have.

Dorkings and Jersey Giants go broody well too. Usually it's large docile breeds
wink.png

Whichever one goes broody and stays broody until eggs hatch and then does a good job with the chicks is your best broody
wink.png
It could be any of them, really. Once you have a broody hen, you can give her whatever eggs you like. Your broody won't care whether they are hers, from other hens in your flock, purchased hatching eggs from a breeder...

Thinking about getting a rooster or two this summer to let my kids see the whole process of laying the fertilized eggs, to hen sitting on them, to them hatching out. I only want to have pure breeds so here is my question: In your opinion, which breed of my pure bred hens (their only 8 weeks old now), but which breed do you think is a more broody breed? I have RIRs, Silver-Laced Wyandottes, Golden-Laced Wyandottes, Delawares, and Dominiques. Thanks for your opinions!!

EDITED*******Let me ask it this way, if you were going to breed one of my breeds listed above, which breed would you get a boyfriend for hoping for the best results overall??? Thanks!!!
I would say your best bet would be with the Wyandottes, and the Dominiques. I used to have a pair of Doms and the hen sat on one egg and hatched it out. I had Silver and Golden Laced Wyandottes for awhile, but not long enough to see if they were good broodies or not. Rhode Island Reds are a production breed and very rarely go broody. Good luck!

~Aspen

Is your goal to hatch one batch of chicks so your kids can see the circle of life in action or are you also wanting to transition to a single-breed, sustainable flock?

Hatchery birds tend to be breed for production, so broody hens aren’t favorable. I wouldn’t expect chicks from any of those hens, it would just be a pleasant surprise if they went broody. If you want your kids to surely have this experience I suggest a Cochin, Silkie, Gamefowl, or a more reliable broody breed.

Back
Top Bottom