Best broody hen breed?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sniper338, Oct 24, 2015.

1. sniper338

sniper338 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    Im learning here...

What type hens or hens are natorious, and usually can always be counted on to go broody to hatch and raise chicks? I know some chickens wont...

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
  3. sniper338

Dec 15, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    I hear cochins can be good..?

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Yes I have too and also Pekins. Many of the bantam breeds are good broodies it's just silkies are at the top of the list. I've even had a polish bantam go broody, polish even the bantams are not generally a broody breed. But if the fit takes a hen it takes her. Some have it some don't.

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    X2 on the above posts. Silkies are probably unmatched when it comes to being good brooders and mothers. Sometimes they will spend weeks trying to incubate a golf ball. :eek:) Cochins (same breed as Pekins in the USA) are also excellent brooders.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Silkies and bantam cochins top my list. I've had sporadic dual purpose hatchery birds go broody, but usually not until their second year. Orpingtons have a reputation for going broody, but with hatchery birds it's still not a given. I'd love to get a good broody full size cochin--think of all the babies she could brood at one time with all that fluff!

7. sniper338

Dec 15, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas

My thoughts exactly... thats why i asked..

8. varidgerunner

varidgerunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2013
    I raise all of my chicks with broody hens. I find Asil are the best. Any Asian game is good, except for the really big ones like shamo. The American or OEG are good, just too flighty for my liking. I can count on mine to the extent of making arrangements to order in eggs for them to set. Like clockwork, start young and you might get 15 years out of them. They do multiple broods per year, most of mine will do three. Big enough to cover large clutches of large eggs. They don't tolerate snakes, cats or rats messing with their eggs or brood and will make most dogs think twice. They can do wonders finding food for the chicks in a free range environment. If you cross them with a large dual purpose breed, they make for some super free range broilers with plump breasts. (Asil were the well that the Cornish was drawn from, in regards to meaty breasts.)

I always heard Cochins were good, I raised them for several years and never had one that I would consider reliable, as in order Cemani eggs and shove them under a broody hen reliable. I would put eggs under my Asils and expect better results than an incubator. They are affected in no way by power outages or bad thermostats.

9. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I believe it. We had the same kind of results with our Silkies. They always gave us a better hatch rate than our incubators did.

10. varidgerunner

varidgerunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2013
    Never see crooked toes on the broody raised chicks They turn them way better than a mechanical turner, They stick that long neck in there and turn them very particularly. They can pick out bad ones better than anyone can candle them, too. I had one the other day that I found a marked egg that she had carried away from her nest, probably 50 feet. I busted it for the hogs, it was bad. I guess she didn't want a bad egg drawing in predators. The amount of instinct these birds have is incredible, yet they are very tame.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by