1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Best broody hen?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by risingeaglefarm, Mar 14, 2016.

1. risingeaglefarm

risingeaglefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2014
    So I want to cut electricity expenses, and I'm opting for getting a broody hen to replace my incubator and brooder. What's the best bird for hatching and caring for chicks? Preferably one that will be able to take care of other species, like ducks

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Silkies, Cochins, and Brahmas can all be expected to brood multiple times per year and make excellent mothers. Most of my oriental gamefowl (Shamo especially) brood 4-8 times per year and are amazing mommies, but the cost to buy a Shamo or other oriental gamefowl is almost as expensive as the cost of an incubator. Can't beat them for a broody though.

3. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Bantams are great broods and mommas too, but they have a smaller quantity and I don't know about other species...lol

4. JaeG

JaeG Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    My Mum's large breed silver laced wyandotte is broody more than she is not. Same goes for my bantam wyandottes - and they are a larger bantam (mine are anyway). Australorps are supposed to be very broody too.

Having just hatched bantam eggs under two broody Old English Game Bantams it's so easy! They did stuff you'd never dream of doing if using an incubator (like getting off pipped eggs to have a toilet break or snack, and rearranging the eggs right up until they are hatched - this includes pipping eggs!). We've just given one of our bantam wyandottes some eggs too - she's only just over a year old and this is probably her 6th bout of broodiness. It's nice to be able to indulge her!

5. DancingWthDucks

DancingWthDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2016
    Cumbria, UK
    I would opt for LF silkie because they go broody at the drop of a hat and are great mothers. They can also brood more eggs at a time than bantams.

6. risingeaglefarm

risingeaglefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2014
    Thanks for the tips everyone-I'll pick out some of the breeds you suggested on Thursday :)

7. rainorix

rainorix New Egg

Mar 24, 2016
    I have three astrolorps about a year and a half old there not broody at all nor will they every lay in the same place its annoying but kinda funny i got some game hens to see if they would set but nothing in two months i even built six brood boxes for them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by