Best Broody Hen

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by killer_diller_chick, Nov 5, 2009.

1. killer_diller_chick

killer_diller_chick Out Of The Brooder

This is a double ended question. I am planning on picking up acouple Cochin Bantams to use for broodies for my Delawares
    Did I make the right choice?
    Should I have picked a differant breed?
    What has been most sucessfull for you all?

2. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    I've heard good things about broody cochins. Not sure I'd pick a bantam, but that's probably because I'm used to BIG broody hens! LOL

I have 3 favorite broodies that I use all the time. A heritage Dominique, a Buff Orpington, and a big old mixed breed hen. All 3 of them are fabulous mommas.

I think it just depends on the hen, more than the breed in general. Sure, certain breeds are more likely to go broody than others, but there is no guarantee.

3. Cackling Hen

Cackling Hen Just Scratching Around

Apr 21, 2009
    Port Angeles Wa
    I think you picked a good breed all my 3 broody hens where bantams Cochin, Jap and My RIR and there 7 months old. Great mama so far has been the Jap Bantam

4. davidb

davidb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2008
    north east Georgia
    I always use game hens, most will set 3 or 4 times a year and they are real good mother hens

5. Jennings Gamefowl

Jennings Gamefowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    CORDOVA,SOUTH CAROLINA
    Quote:me two my grey hen just hatch her 4th batch of eggs...all 7 eggs hatch.. Game hens are just as good as silkies( which i have to to hatch the game eggs)...

6. golden comets

golden comets Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2009
    I like silkies,they will try to hatch air

7. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    The Cochin breed makes for great broodies, but size may be an issue. They can't incubate many eggs at a time. I would opt for a larger breed if available.

8. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    The last Bantam cochin hen I let raise chicks ended up sticking with them for over 3 months!!! She hatched out 5 seramas and a medium sized mixed breed chick .They are now 4 months old and still tend to roam around the yard with their mama. IMO Cochins make wonderful broodies.

9. marlamiller

marlamiller Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2009
    central
    Game hen here to they are fave good mothers.[​IMG]

10. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a Buff Orpington hen who is a GREAT "Broody" !!! Also a game hen that is good but not quite as good as the Big, Feathery, Buff Orpington because she can't cover as many eggs (smaller). [​IMG]

-Junkmanme- [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by