BEST broody hens!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pringle, May 19, 2009.

1. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    I want to start raising chicks with a broody hen and im not to sure what breeds would be good to incubate the eggs.Im also wondering if chickens go broody at all times of the year or only in the spring and im also asking how to have her go broody over eggs that arnt hers.

2. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    Well I would have to say Cochins and Silkies are your best broodies.

3 out of 4 of my Cochins are broody right now and 3 out of 5 of my Silkies are. My Black Jap is also broody and I had a Red Sex Link go broody last Fall.

Mine all went broody without anything under them. They just refused to leave the nests, so I stuck Blue Ameraucana eggs under most of them and duck eggs under one of the Cochins. They don't seem to care whats under them, as long as they get to hatch something.

Last edited: May 19, 2009
  3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I've had 5 BBS Orps this year wanting to set and I did set 4 with eggs. Good moms.

4. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Mine aren't supposed to, they're Partridge Rocks, I have three broodies now. Nobody told them they weren't supposed to so they did.

Easter Eggers are also good broodies and so are Old English Games, Large Fowl.

5. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    I also vote Silkies & Cochins as the best broodies...if I had to pick one I would say Silkies, although I have a Cochin right now who's determined to prove me wrong. [​IMG] You have to wait for them to go broody, or you can try to "convince" them by leaving eggs in the nest...once they get to a certain amount they will probably sit, then you can trade them out for whatever you want to put under them. Mine go broody any time of year the mood strikes...I had one hatch babies in December this year.

6. Must Be Losing It

Must Be Losing It Lost It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    I also vote for cochins. I even had one cochin mix who I couldn't get off the nest unless I dangled a worm in front of her.

7. tazzy

tazzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Kentucky
    two of our buff orpington hens went broody last spring, and we currently have two being broody right now.

8. IggiMom

IggiMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    West Virginia
    My Black Jersey Giant is being a very faithful broody right now.

Catherine

9. pringle

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    thx for all the posts im thinking of getting some cochins now and maybe some silkies

10. pringle

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    and I forgot to ask if black austrolorp hens go broody?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by