Best broody meat bird?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by ging3rhoffman, Apr 22, 2009.

1. ging3rhoffman

ging3rhoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    I am wanting to raise our own meat chickens. Which breed is the most broody. If there are several kinds please list them all. I just love my buff orphington, so I was hoping for another broody type meat bird.

2. SoJoChickens

SoJoChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Fountain Green, UT
    Just a quick glance at Henderson's breed chart looks like Brahma, Cochin or Jersey Giant are very broody and might work but none will mature as fast or convert feed as well as your BO. The Cornish can also be broody but is not as gentle as the others. Hope this helps!

3. the_great_snag

the_great_snag Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Staples, Minnesota
    I would recommend raising the breed you want for meat and keeping a few broody breeds around to brood your eggs.

Brahmas, Cochins, and Silkies are all awesome broodies and should get along well with most other breeds.

Just be aware that if you go this route, some of your chicks will be mutts resulting from a cross between your meat breed rooster and your broody hen.

BTW... Storey's Illustrated Guide to Poultry Breeds says that Cornish have fairly poor fertilization rates due to their blocky bodies. So you may end up with broody hens but low fertilization rates. They are still my favorite breed though [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by