Best cage for indoor chicken?

Status
Not open for further replies.

morrowtom63

In the Brooder
Feb 23, 2022
Does anyone here have recommendations about what size and type of cage is best for keeping one pet chicken in a bedroom? Which store, PetSmart or Petco, sells an easy to clean cage that won't produce a stinky smell? Thanks.

Welcome to BYC.

I'm sorry, but keeping a chicken alone in a bedroom is not appropriate care.

Chickens are flock animals, who should never be kept alone. Also, they are outdoor livestock who need large amounts of space, constant exposure to fresh air, access to sunshine, dirt to scratch in, and greenery to nibble.

Many people raise their chicks in an indoor brooder for 4-6 weeks, but beyond that they belong outdoors. :)

It's possible to keep a small flock in a modest space outside -- for the minimum flock of 3 it would be a coop of no smaller than 3'x4' and a run no smaller than 30 square feet (4'x8' is the easiest to build).

Here is a good article for you to start with: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/how-to-raise-chickens.47660/

Chickens do not do well by themselves. They also produce a lot of dust just from their dander. As you have already stated. They are messy and produce quite a bit of manure that makes unpleasant smells. It is not a good idea to keep them in your household. Build a coop, get your chicken a friend or two. Then enjoy watching and interacting with them outside.

Lol! That is a broiler chicken. It is so weight inhibited that it cannot move around much. It is also very likely that unless kept active and on a strict diet. It will not even live past a year. A normal chicken will not be happy and will voice their displeasure about their cramped indoor situation. Bottom line. It is your choice to keep your chickens how you like. For the happiness and better welfare of you and the chicken. There are better housing options than being stuffed inside of a small cage. Even if allowed out to roam the house at times. They will do their business when the urge hits. They do not care what they have walked through, before getting on any surface that catches their curiosity.

I have raised chicks for others over the years, at times have had to raise a single hatch. All turn out well adjusted but have learned keeping them in the house can be "work". The latest single hatch I was to raise & since acquired is a Serama. She's had issues which were thought to be URI which I've been treating since hatch. Recently suggested it maybe an eye infection which I'm treating for and it seems to be working.

Anyways, due to her condition and having becoming attached plus her personality ... Keeping her in the house & I needed a set up ... Came up with this & it's working just great. I got a small air purifier which I don't use every day & when I do, I put it on at night.

Anyways, I have a brooder in my patio which she spends the afternoons (warmer), leaving the door open, she has access to the yard but chooses to stay in unless I go with her ... Hoping she'll eventually go with the dogs. She's fine alone & the only complaint I get is she wants the MHP on at night.

I had rescued a rusted wire cage that I cleaned up, purchased off Amazon the netting skirt, using potty pads as the shaving dust may be affecting her eyes. I do have 6" cardboard sides for the cage but the netting works. I ferment my feed & use a HWN (horizontal water nipples) on my water container. Works for me

Yes, chickens are social animals but it can work. I may get a buddy for Poquito when my friend's Serama hatches out the eggs she's sitting on now but if I don't, she seems to be adjusted to our lifestyle and my schedule.

What breed do you have? A bedroom may not be the healthiest for YOU, I keep mine in the living room and she is a bantam sized plus she does spend afternoons outside.

Attachments

• 0219 Moved:1.jpg
    0219 Moved:1.jpg
    377.1 KB · Views: 45
  • 0219 Moved:2.jpg
    0219 Moved:2.jpg
    402.3 KB · Views: 45
  • 0204 Brooder.jpg
    0204 Brooder.jpg
    501.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 2022 RC 0214 Poquito:4.jpg
    2022 RC 0214 Poquito:4.jpg
    392.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 2022 RC 0212 My Trio.jpg
    2022 RC 0212 My Trio.jpg
    941.2 KB · Views: 44
The best cage for an indoor chicken is one that is at least 3'x4' and placed outside. All the time. With other chickens. Outside. Just because someone says they raise a chicken indoors does not mean it is healthy for the chicken or human. We could all make a five minute video and make keeping chickens look wonderful. Or you can deal with reality. Chickens need to live outdoors, in a large enough coop, with other chickens. They are loud, gross, and smelly. And wonderful animals to have. Outdoors. With other chickens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom