Best candler for dark eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BeardedChick, Nov 11, 2008.

1. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

I want to buy a good candler. Which one would be a good choice for both dark eggs and for small eggs (Serama)? My LED maglight is not bright enough to see much through Wellie eggs.

Is the Brinsea significantly brighter than a Maglight?

Thanks -

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I use a LED maglight for my Marans and Welsummer eggs. I just check to see if the aircell is growing and if the chick portion of the egg is getting darker. I gave up a long time ago trying to candle them with the same results as a light colored egg.

3. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Awwww RATS. [​IMG] I wanted to see more than that! Just curious - have you tried a higher intensity candler?

4. Siamesesage

Siamesesage Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2008
    I also, would really like a brighter candler.. sooo many available.. I have Bantam Araucana eggs, large fowl Ameraucana eggs.. hard to candle the dark blue/green eggs.. the pigment goes all the way through!!

Would love to see an answer to this!

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:I bought a candler and should have saved my money....didn't like the results at all. My little flashlight does a better job. I just think if you've got nice dark eggs that's about all you're going to see....I've given up seeing more than that anyway.

6. fr6473

fr6473 New Egg

Oct 19, 2008
    Thomaston, Georgia
    I had someone tell me they had made one with a heat type light (the one with the metal shroud arond it) with a 100 watt bulb with a shoe box over the light with a hole in the box. He told me that he just sets the egg in the hole on the box with the lights off and can see the development, he has Rhode Island Reds only though. I asked about the light affeting the box he sadi he just give it a break. I am going to try and make one on my next hatch and see if it works. Who knows it is worth a try!!

7. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I gotta go with Katy on this one, a small mag light is the way to go. I have marans and you just can't do much more than look for dark growth in the lower half of the egg and a good air cell.

8. dbcooper02

dbcooper02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    SW Washington
    Some eggs are never going to allow you a really good look inside, but my favorite candler is an old slide projector with a black foam rubber gasket fitted to the front of the lens. Intense light with little or no heat getting to the egg. If you haven't got one stashed away in a closet or attic somewhere, try your local Goodwill or other thrift store.
    db

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by