Best candler for dark eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Clay In Iowa, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Clay In Iowa

Clay In Iowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Near Wilton Iowa
    I'm having a really, really hard time with candling Marans eggs.

Any Ideas......

2. illinichick

illinichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    SE Il
    I'd like to know this also. I got and incubator for Christmas and want to start hatching soon. I have 3-4 Marans that have the dark brown eggs.

3. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    I had to take the brown eggs into my bathroom, shut off all the lights and use a bright flashlight...........and sometimes that was a guess.

Dark choc eggs..good luck. Hope someone else has some good ideas

4. Rooster Ray

Rooster Ray Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    South West Michigan
    I have been using a $4.00 Walmart LED flashlight with good results but I don't think my eggs are as dark as yours.[​IMG]

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I've been hatching my Marans and Welsummer eggs for several years, and I gave up a long time ago trying to see anything other than checking on the air cell size.

6. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    I was going to post with this exact question!! I have a real egg candler and I can't see a thing. I can see a little bit of an air pocket, but that is all.
    Is that a good sign?

I can't see through this:[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    L&Schickens - You probably never will be able to see through that either! LOL! I hatched some Welsummer eggs that were that dark last July and it didn't matter what system I used or how bright the flashlight was. I never could see anything other than the air cell, as stated by Katy. Those dk. brown eggs are just a hopeless cause when it comes to candling. [​IMG]

8. Clay In Iowa

Oct 9, 2008
    Near Wilton Iowa
    hmmm well crud I was hoping someone had a magic candler that could see inside those really dark eggs.

Now i get to worry about rotten eggs and an explosion of not so tasty eggy badness in my bator.

9. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    [​IMG] Relax! Just use your nose. If there is a rotten egg in the bator then you should be able to smell it well before it explodes! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. Clay In Iowa

Oct 9, 2008
    Near Wilton Iowa
    Quote:I'll have my wife sniff them out. I could sleep with a skunk on my head and not know it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by