Autumn Mama

Songster
10 Years
Mar 15, 2009
British Columbia,
Autumn Mama
New Egg
E-mail PM input needed for ingredients of chick starter...Hi all,

I have new chicks arriving in a few days and would like to know this: does the chick starter I have sound good? It is 22% protein, with the first three ingredients being: wheat, barley and wheat mill, followed by soy meal and canola meal... etc

I'm wondering whether the chick starter needs to be protein sourced from animals or is the grain based adequate? We are growing the hens for laying and following the organic standards for our area.

Is there a concern with introducing soy to female birds?

I will be brooding them indoors and then acclimatizing them to a coop over 6 weeks. We're in BC, Canada. They will free range often for natural foods when outdoors via a tractor...

Thanks for any input!!

Report | Edit | Quote
Pages: 1
Index » Raising Baby Chicks

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip about the oatmeal.

I am wondering mostly, if:

1) a grain-based starter feed is better than one with animal protein, and

2) if soy is a concern to feed ANY livestock, but in this case chicks?

I've read horror stories about soy, and I don't consume it anymore (nor do my DH and 2 boys).

My chick starter includes soy, and the better certified organic brand at my Co-Op made 10 miles from me is sold out.
sad.png

Thanks!!
smile.png

Last edited:
Lots of info on this site; try the search option.

Chickens are not vegetarians, but most chicken feed is all grains. One of the problems we all have. A WHOLE LOT of research might produce a sensible ration, but might not be affordable for most of us.

Buy a ration that contains animal protein if you can. None available here.

Soy is unavoidable, in my experience. At least your protein % is high, better than I can find.

I suspect you will be more interested in predator management than feed after you turn them loose.

Ha-ha! Good point!

Hopefully we cover all of the bases with a *very* secure coop and run + efficient chicken tractor for excursions!!!

My plan is to have them shift away from the feed as much as I can in time as they mature, and they will love scraps, homemade "scratch" etc. So hopefully, the soy ingestion will be minimal.
hu.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom