Best chick starter?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Jdc361, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Jdc361

Jdc361 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2015
    what is the best chick starter out there?

2. ChickenWaterer

ChickenWaterer Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2012
    Palo Alto, CA
    Here's a link to a chart we created that compares most of the national brands and provides the manufacturers descriptions.

Chick Feed Comparison Chart

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    It depends on what your looking for in a feed and they type of fowl your raising.
    The average hatchery type fowl will do well on a 20% protein feed that contains animal proteins and fats.

I myself raise exhibition heritage breeds and I look for a chick starter that contains a good amount of animal proteins and some animal fats in it and is also at least 26% protein.

1 person likes this.
  4. ChickenWaterer

ChickenWaterer Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2012
    Palo Alto, CA
    Hi Chris:

I'm curious to know what brand of feed you are buying that's 26% protein. I don't think any of the national brands offer a chick starter that is that high in protein. I'd like to update the info on the chick feed chart we created for our customers. Thanks.

5. TalkALittle

TalkALittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2014
    Massachusetts
    I've seen turkey and game bird starter that is that high.

6. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    I feed a 30% protein game bird/ chick starter right now but I have fed Kents 26% protein game bird/ chick starter.
    The feed I'm feeding now is put out by Mazuri (Land-O-Lakes) it's a high end feed that can be expensive but it get it at a little over cost from a farm store I go to so it's no were the price they have it for on the Mazuri site.

Purina has a line of game bird feeds and show feeds that have a good amount of protein in them also.

Kent also makes a 27% protein poultry mixer that can be feed solely or ground corn can be added as needed.

Hubbard feed makes a 27% protein game bird/ chick starter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by