Best chicken breed for a six year old boy.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jc12551, Jan 8, 2008.

1. jc12551

jc12551 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    S.W. TN
    Despite living in a small town and not in the country, my 6-yo wants to raise a chicken for the fair but 4-H thinks this is a bad idea and he should get a goat instead(!) because a)chickens are fragile, b)some will die, and c)are hard to raise. I always enjoyed my little shipment of chicks every spring as a child and don't remember having many problems.

Landlord is all ready to build me a coop behind the house and is almost as excited as my son. He even dropped off materials and was measuring by flashlight earlier.

I have raised chickens for fun/eggs before, but not for show. Any suggestions as to whether or not this is a good idea? What is a good breed to get? He (son) has been researching for weeks and has decided on white silkie bantams but I have no clue where to get a small set in NC that would be suitable for this purpose. I have always liked Salmon Faverolles and Buff Orpingtons myself. What quality of a chicken do I need for a county fair? Am I crazy?

2. a2ms4chickens

a2ms4chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    My 11 yr old son is in 4-H and we found that the modern game bantams fit in his hand better for showmanship. He shows a brown-red modern pullet and she is very cooperative. She'll talk your head off, but she poses really nice for him.

He likes the bantams because they are smaller and easier for him to handle. They are also easy to clean because their feathers are tight.

From what I have been told by breeders, silkies are a lot of work to show, especially if they are white. My son wanted a silkie, but after he heard that, he changed his mind.

Good luck!!

Angie

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2008
  3. BantyChickMom

BantyChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2007
    Henderson, NC
    Welcome to BYC jc12551.
    Everyone on here will tell you, ABSOLUTELY!
    There's no reason not to get some chicks, you enjoyed getting them, taking care of the chickens will help teach your son responsibility (not that he needs it), and your landlord is all for it and willing to build your coop.

Silkies would be a great choice too.

Where are you in NC.
    I have a pair, but no extras.
    The lady I got mine from may have some more.

4. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    I agree that Modern Game Bantams would be wonderful. They are charming little chickens with great personalities. They are very comical.

Here is my Roo Cornelius

[​IMG]

And a photo of some of my other chickens. Look at my little hen Minnie by the white chicken, I think this photo is a hoot and gives an idea of their unique personalities.

[​IMG]

You do have to dub the combs for showing. I really think your son will love them.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2008
  5. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Salmon Favvorel Bantams or Buff Orph Bantams would be my personal choice they are both realy docile.

Good Luck Henry

6. jc12551

jc12551 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    S.W. TN
    BantyChickMom-

I am in NE NC near the Outer Banks.

So far we haven't got much info or support from 4-H since they only do goats and sheep at this age. Here I am worried about keeping a few chicks in my back yard and they want me to put a goat back there? I know nothing about showing a chicken! I don't know what to look for in terms of quality or anything since I am more of a plant person. Any advice would be appreciated.

7. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Quote:I would get the APA Standard of Perfection. This will give you a very specific idea of what to look for in an excellent quality bird.

8. MS9325

MS9325 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    I have a six year old son as well and he loves the old english game bantams and the Barred Rock Bantams, he showed for the first time this year and did great. I have also judged poultry shows for fairs and the best advice I can give you is buy a APA Standard, you can get one is black and White for 12 bucks, it has loads of info, also go down to you local 4h extension office and they can give you some free pamplets on fitting and showing, Let me know what breed you decide and I will send you tons of info on it also, if you want I can send you some of the questions I ask kids that age, trust me its so much easier than goats.[​IMG]

9. cherndon712

cherndon712 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    WY
    My son (7) raises buff orpingtons and they're really sweet. he just walks right up and picks them up! They even coo at him!

10. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

I too have a 7 year old son and he loves our Buff Orpingtons. They are very sweet and very easy to handle. A bantam size would be easier for him to handle for showing though, in my opinion. My son has no problem picking up our girls and marching them around and he evn brings them in the house sometimes to have a rest on the couch....very laid back breed, but we don;t show or anything....I would really love to!!
    I haven't had the best luck with the bantams only because I free range mine and the Kestral really enjoys eating the tiny bite sized meals.... :eek:(. but if I could have them I would probably choose Orpington Bantams....sorry i am partial...heheheee [​IMG]

Welcome to the BYC!!!!! You will Love it here!!! This is the best group of people I have ever come across!!!!! Very knowledgable and sweet!!! And a little silly at times....no maybe all the time!!!! LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by