Best chicken breed for me

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by CountryGurl14, Nov 17, 2014.

1. CountryGurl14

CountryGurl14 New Egg

Nov 17, 2014
    Hi! I used to own chickens, and really enjoyed them until I got to busy and had to give them to good homes. Now I'm thinking about getting some chicks again in late winter/early spring. I live in PA, so we have pretty cold winters, and usually hot summers. I was also thinking of getting a rooster for the first time. I live in the country, but still have neighbors so I would like a quiet but friendly rooster. Any ideas on the breed of hens and roosters to get? Thanks! [​IMG]

2. [​IMG] Happy to meet you!

I would recommend a Buff Orpington, Wyandotte, or similar breed. They are cold hardy and generally even-tempered.

Good luck with your future birds!

- BantamLover55

3. CountryGurl14

CountryGurl14 New Egg

Nov 17, 2014
    Thanks!

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    No roosters are really quiet unless you can get a No Crow collar to work properly, but some of the breeds that have a well deserved reputation for being gentle include Australorps, Orpingtons, Cochins, Brahamas, Sussex, and Faverolles. All of these breeds are cold hardy, and the Australorps are very heat hardy as well. Of the breeds on this list, Australorps are the best layers and Cochins are the worst layers (although they are the best brooders and mothers). Whatever breed you decide to get, good luck with your flock.

5. Good advice!

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by