1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Best chicken breeds for cold?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LoganTW, Jan 26, 2014.

1. LoganTW

LoganTW Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi - I live in MN and I was wondering for next year, what the best chicken breeds for cold is?

Thanks!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  2. mattsinger

mattsinger Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2013
    Davison, MI
    Im not sure whats Best... but I have had good luck with Rhode Island Reds, Orpingtons, Blue, Black and Splash Marans, Black Austrolorps.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Some of that depends on why you want chickens. What are your goals for them?

Chantecler and Buckeye were specifically developed for colder climates. They are normally dual purpose birds for meat and eggs. They are not known for going broody. If you are just wanting eye candy or colored eggs, they may not suit you. One big thing about them is that they have small combs and wattles to help guard against frostbite, but many people keep single combed chickens in your climate or worse and don’t have frostbite problems. How you manage them makes a difference. Some people freak out about frostbite and some people manage it. Smaller combs can help you manage frostbite, but so can the right coop and management techniques.

4. LoganTW

eggs and meat would be the reason, but mostly eggs.

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Then I'd suggest Buckeyes, Chanteclers, or Wyandottes. Any of those should suit you well.

6. LoganTW

Thanks!!!!

7. MrsBachbach

MrsBachbach Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Arkansas

Ameraucanas are very cold tolerant. Their small pea combs and lack of wattles means less frostbite issues.

8. mattsinger

mattsinger Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2013
    Davison, MI
    The best winter layers Ive had were Rhode Island Reds.

Where abouts do you live in MN??.. we lived in Anoka for about 6 years.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  9. LoganTW

I live in southwestern MN about three hours south to the twin cites.

10. Northie

Northie Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm going with Chanteclers peronally because our winters are severe and long. There are also russian orloff which are supposed to be tough too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by