best chicken breeds for my family

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kimberly4403, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Kimberly4403

Kimberly4403 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2015
    Im looking for chickens who lay well over a longer period of time like heritage breeds over the commercial types I will be adding to my flock slowly as im not planning on culling my old hens. I have a small child as well as 2 dogs so want more friendly family orientated breeds who arnt flighty. Also need hardy breeds as summer is very hot and winter is very cold in Gympie QLD Auatralia. Any suggestions I would prefer a mixed flock if possible rather then i breed

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  3. AustralorpsAU

AustralorpsAU Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    Down Under
    Hi. I have australorps (and one Ancona which i would not recommend) and they are pretty friendly and not to flighty. We bought ours as pullets so they werent handled much as chicks and hence ours dont like being picked up but they will still eat out of your hand and jump on your lap. Mine have been laying still even in this cold weather. They are bred to withstand Australian weather. Hope this helps:)

4. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Your real choices are an active well laying breed like a Brown or White Leghorn that has good survival skills, a century long plus heritage of excellent feed to egg conversion ratio or maybe a RIR. The alternative is some dowdy duel purpose breed were a single hen of this breed is unable to lay a complete clutch of eggs in a short enough time to hatch most of these eggs. As far as you being able to "Pet" your chickens, the outcome of that depends on how well the hens' owner treats his or her charges. Remember that chickens are living breathing animals and if you go grabbing and snatching at them like you were chasing 100 dollar bills in a Kansas Tornado, your chickens will at best look at you askance and at worst with extreme suspicion regardless of which breed you choose. Hens are very much like human females in that they only have a certain number of eggs that can be used to reproduce the species.

5. beccaWA

beccaWA Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Eastern WA
    I have Black Australorps and would recommend them. We have hot summers and cold winters here, and they lay well even without supplemental light in the winter. I think they took only a couple weeks off in December. They are docile, calm, and I'm sure bred for your area. They are egg laying machines. One Australorp took a record for laying 364 eggs in 365 days. I would not mix them with other more aggressive breeds in a mixed flock, as they are near the bottom of the pecking order. Mine get along well with my Wyandotte, but the Barred Rock I used to have bullied them. (As would Rhode Island Reds, etc. I'm sure). Good luck and I'm sure glad I found this Australian breed of chicken.

6. SueT

SueT Overrun With Chickens

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    I love my Black Australorp and my Buff Orpington, both very friendly and both breeds are known for that. Our BO does not lay as many eggs, 3-4 a week, but her beautiful golden feathers are why I picked this breed. Someone here called them 'the golden retrievers of the poultry world.' She is totally lovable. And I agree with chickengeorgeto, about the no grab policy. (love your analogy about $100 bills in a tornado....)
    My granddaughter is 3 and has learned to be [​IMG]

gentle with her chickens. Out of the 3 they got, this black sexlink turned out to be the most tolerant of being handled.

7. Chicken Bff

Chicken Bff Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    Missiouri
    1 person likes this.
  8. cec330

cec330 New Egg

Apr 6, 2016
    My buff Orpingtons and speckled Sussex are both very friendly and neither are flighty I would recommend getting them as chicks and raising them giving them attention talking to them and loving on them every chance you get. That's how I raised mine and now as adults they like being held and petted, they are very loving hens.

9. beccaWA

beccaWA Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Eastern WA
    I so want to add Sussex! They would get along well with my Australorps. Eventually I'd like a flock of Australorps, Sussex, and Buckeyes. All docile breeds, and the Buckeyes are particularly friendly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by