Best chicken for meat

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by pauleberly, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Cornish (not the cross)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Red Rangers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dorkings

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Rainbow Dixie

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Jersey Giant

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Delaware

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  7. Bresse

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Buckeye

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. pauleberly

pauleberly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2016
    East TN
    While I know this is more than likely a highly subjective area, I want to raise some meat birds this spring. A few have hit my mind, such as jersey giants, dorkings, Cornish .... So if anyone has any experience raising these, chip in!!

Please specify in the comments on how many of these breeds you have had, and what you liked/disliked about them. I really appreciate all the information, just trying to get all my hens in a row

2. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    You can go to the breed section and read about all these breeds and others, the pros and cons. I've had Jersey giants and loved them, but I do think there are some things about them people should be aware of. These chickens are huge, but they do not grow fast. They can even grow into their second year, so if you want strictly meat birds Cornish crosses are better since you need to keep the JG's longer and they will eat more and thus cost more money. If you are able to free range them, they will get a good portion of their food foraging and that will cut down on their cost, but if you need to keep them cooped or penned, they aren't the most efficient breed IMHO.

3. pauleberly

Mar 21, 2016
    East TN
    Thank you for the input. I've really been looking at the dorkings and bresse because I've read they lay a decent amount f eggs and have excellent quality of meat

4. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Ya, but is the American version of Bresse going to be the same?

5. pauleberly

Mar 21, 2016
    East TN
    I'm not sure. That's really the reason why I made this thread. I'm hoping to get some real insite about all the different breeds

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by