Best Chicken to buy for a pet chicken to keep in the backyard?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sparkycat, Aug 6, 2010.

1. sparkycat

sparkycat New Egg

Aug 6, 2010
    Hi everyone. I am new here and I am ready to get back into Chickens. I live in Southeast TN and I want to get a pet chicken but I need one that can tolerate TN heat and the winter we have. It can get a little cold here.

Most importantly I want one that will make a great pet and enjoy being held and follow me around the yard when it is not in the coop.

Thanks for any recommendations.

2. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    No advice on the type but make sure you get at least two!

3. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    Get a couple silkies they are small and friendly if you start from the beginning fo holding them.They tolerate cold with a heat lamp(I`m in Maine so cold is 0) it has been in the high 80`s here and they panted some.We have a house silkie right now she is 6 weeks old and she sits on my dh`s shoulder at night and watches tv and stays in an aquirum with a heat lamp the rest of the time.,he takes her outside to play in the grass and when he moves she is right behind him,she thinks we are the parents,we have tried to intergrate her into the other silkies but no way she is scared to death of them.Silkie don`t eat much and stay small and are so cute,I do have bigger chickens for the eggs but I really like the silkies,if you want bigger faverolles are great the girls,they love being held and are so cute.

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I agree you need to get more than one. Chickens are flock animals and are much happier with at least a couple other hens.

5. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    My buff orpingtons are super sweet, but pretty much everyone here will mention a different breed that's sweet like that.

6. Coreyboy18

Coreyboy18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    Quote:Well, it isn't really ideal to get just one chicken, and not good for them. They need at least another chicken because they are very social animals. It is really proper to get at least three, that way if one passes then there is another. They can get depressed when they are alone. So, that's a start...someone else can fill you in as far as a good breed to go with. Good luck!

7. Mtn Cur

Mtn Cur Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Seymour, Tn
    game hens would be a good choice. I like my sexlinks pretty good. Depends on what you are looking for out of your chickens: egg production, meat, forager. Most will follow you around if give them attention.

8. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

Buff Orpingtons are good for the cold, friendly, don't mind being handled, and lay fairly well. My Buff Orpington laid 3 to 4 large eggs a week. Any chickens you get, get them as chicks and handle them regularly and they are more likely to be pet like and imprint on you.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  9. amyrains

amyrains Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2010
    camden
    i live in west tn we really enjoy our welsummers they seem to do really well thats if you like a bigger bird [​IMG]

10. MKKimmen

MKKimmen Out Of The Brooder

Ours are all friendly, but the two most friendliest out of the Flock would have to be our Barred Rock and our Black Sex Link. Both are very sweet![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by