Best Chicken

TillinWithMyPeeps

Waiting for Spring...
11 Years
Aug 22, 2008
Ohio
Hi,

I would like to get 3-4 pullet chicks, and I was wondering if you had any recommendations. I already have a short list of breeds that I like. I would like them to be relatively good egg layers, friendly, cold hardy, and not especially loud. Here is my list so far:

Buff Orpington
Buckeye
Golden Buff (Red Sex link)
Faverolle
Ameraucana (Easter Egger)
New Hampshire
Rhode Island Red

I would love to here back from you especially if you know anything about the above breeds. If you have any recommendations that meet the qualifications, but are not on the list, I would love to here those too.

Thanks!

Buff Orpington is my favorite standard size chicken. They are all around great birds and great mothers
smile.png

Quote:
i think you made some nice choices! just FYI there are also black sex links, the same as red sex links just black. also ameraucana's are different than Easter Eggers. let us know who you choose, and be sure to post pics!

Quote:
You know, you might want to add the Chanticlers to your list. When I was getting my pullets I saw some of the partridge variety. The feed store I got mine from had selected small groups of somewhat rare birds and they had some of the Chanticlers. I almost got one, but in the end I went with a Buttercup instead because I am in a really hot climate and Chanticlers are supposed to be particularly suited to cold climates. But they were beautiful birds. They are supposed to be a little shy but temperament-wise, they seemed the same as all the other birds to me.
The other bird I don't see on your list is the Barred Rock. I got one of those from the same feed store. They are calm natured birds who lay very well. They have a lot of fans. When I told the breeder who sold me my Marans chicks that I had a BR pullet at home said you will love your Barred Rock and she will lay an egg for you every day.
smile.png

Quote:
here is another bit of my opinion: (now all of this is from what i've experienced, but every bird is different so this may not be true for your chickens)

buff orps are said to be very friendly
buckeyes are also very friendly but a little more skittish
my red sex links are very friendly and not aggressive at all!
faverolles are also supposed to be great, but not always as such dependable layers
EEs are supposed to be very nice and colorful
NH i have not heard much about but what i have heard is that they are nice
i too have heard that RIRs can be a bit 'touchy'

My sexlinks and rir's follow me around like I'm a feed bin or something.

If you want eggs, go with a breed that doesn't have a tendency to set. Else you'll have a warm fluffy bird and no eggs.

Back
Top Bottom