best chickens by area

shaggy

Songster
10 Years
May 11, 2009
Orange, Texas
i have seen many websites with suggestions on the best breed of chicken for a given purpose (egg-layers, dual purpose, and meat birds) ... but i have yet to find anywhere that sorts them according to best chickens suited for a given geographic area ... or even weather/temperature tolerances.

has anyone ever seen a place that lets you know which chickens are best suited for a given area?

i live in southeast texas and was curious which breed of chicken is best suited for long, hot, humid summers with short mild winters

Quote:
If you go to the Breeds section at the very top of the BYC forum you might find some help. The Main Breed pages there are sortable by the columns. On the far right if you click the Climate Hardiness column it will sort all breeds by either Heat, Cold, or all climates. Hopefully, that could help with your breed decisions and maybe compare to what you have read elsewhere.

Quote:
If you go to the Breeds section at the very top of the BYC forum you might find some help. The Main Breed pages there are sortable by the columns. On the far right if you click the Climate Hardiness column it will sort all breeds by either Heat, Cold, or all climates. Hopefully, that could help with your breed decisions and maybe compare to what you have read elsewhere.

wow -- i had never seen that before .... thank you so much

hugs.gif

No problem. I wish BYC had it when I was deciding. When I was choosing I looked at all the different websites, especially MyPetChicken and the Henderson's Breed Chart. I am glad BYC has made something just as useful.

I decided on the LF brahmas because everything I read said that handle cold AND heat just fine. My flock has proven that to be true.

Back
Top Bottom