best chickens for begginers

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by phishinchicken, Jan 23, 2009.

1. phishinchicken

phishinchicken On Vacation

Jan 23, 2009
    virginia
    we are looking for good brown egg layers but have no real preference to anything else. we will have enough room for 12 or so hens but are starting with 4-6. any recommendations?

2. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    If you want a good layer go with a sex link but I like beautiful exotic breeds and I find they lay well too. Your specific egg layers usually lay large eggs.

3. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    buff orpintons will lay well, brown eggs. They are gentle hens that are heavy enough to tolerate winters well. My favorite so far.
    They are not the super layers but super layers wear out faster too. I hope this helps some. Also see the hendersons chocks page on internet to give you some more Ideas jean

4. phishinchicken

phishinchicken On Vacation

Jan 23, 2009
    virginia
    thanks for the help ladies.

5. Southerngirl

Southerngirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    A couple of good beginner breeds are the Black Australorp or the Barred Rocks. Both are very gentle and easy to tame. We have never had trouble with the Roos either in our experiences. The hens lay well also.[​IMG]

6. 1Speckled Hen w/Chicks

1Speckled Hen w/Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    NC
    Buff Orp's, Red Island Reds, or even Marans are great brown egg starters...

I am sure many others will soon answer you with their thoughts too..I love them all-so..its hard for me to tell ya an exact breed is better than another...but if you are just starting out--I will say its better to start with a few then a bunch!

Wishing you luck and lots of fun with you upcoming flock!....

7. RHewitt

RHewitt Chillin' With My Peeps

It is hard to beat a Rhode Island Red for Bown Egg production. If you want a mixed colorful flock of good brown egg layers I also like Orpingtons, Red or Black Stars (Sex Links) Black Australorps, White, Barred or Partrige Rocks. Good luck I know you will enjoy your chickens.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  8. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I second the Buff Orpington [​IMG] They are beautiful, sweet birds. They are very good mothers and great layers. I started with a mixed flock and the Buff Orpington is my absolute favorite. Good Luck, Wendy

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by