1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Best Chickens for Pets

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Parkland Chicks, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Parkland Chicks

Parkland Chicks New Egg

Sep 3, 2013
    HI. I am a new chicken owner of about 4 months. I just lost my two easter egger chickens to some nasty opposums. My kids "loved" them and we are replacing them with two more easter eggers and they want two other breeds. Can anyone tell me the best breeds for pets? The eggs are a bonus but being docile and sweet are more important.
    Also, my chickens were free range and i am worried that if they are eating grass, etc...that is treated with fertilizer, fungicide, etc...it will get into their eggs.? I definately don't want my kids eating that since i buy only organic eggs...Any thoughts?
    thanks for any advice.
    Alisa from Parkland Florida

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    [​IMG] Good pet chicken breeds are: Cochins, Silkies, Brahmas, Orpingtons and my personal favorite, d'Uccles.

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Alisa, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us! X2 on the above post! Good luck to you!

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]if you have older children that would be very careful and gentle - you might consider Seramas. They are so tiny it's hard to believe they still have everything they need under the hood.

5. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC!

6. Cluky

Cluky Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Chicago
    I have 8 chickens and all different breeds, my favorites have to be d'uccles. they are friendly, quiet and from the ones I have they seem to like people. mine like sitting on my shoulder like parrots :). their eggs are good too. and the look is awesome :)

7. bugglesmommy

bugglesmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

There are a lot of docile breeds out there. In my opinion silkies have some of the best temperaments around, though I am pretty fond of my polish.

I would personally try and restrict my birds from areas treated with poisons (pesticides, fungicides etc..)

8. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    [​IMG]

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Silkies, cochins, orpingtons and many other breeds are very mellow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by