best chickens that lay eggs as pets.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by thesteven, Mar 13, 2011.

1. thesteven

thesteven Chirping

Apr 25, 2009
    so In your opnion, what are the best docile egg layers, i was thinking Rhode Islands, we have leghorns for my production layers, and i had to pick one up and you would have thought i was murdering it, so just as a pet project. i have did some home work but i want the yall lovely memebers to give opnions.

2. jmmre31

jmmre31 Chirping

Feb 5, 2011
    Front Royal
    All but one of my orpingtons have been very friendly. My kids play with them all the time. The unfriendly one wasn't mean, just did her best not to be caught! [​IMG]

3. Quote:I have to go out on a limb here, but mostly I think our hens are friendly because their big roosterdaddy shows them how. He's a loverboy. He tells them what to do and when. So, our EE, tiny rosecomb and mixed hens are good lap pets, as is he. The Silkie hen is a great pet, but doesn't lay many eggs. She's just for company. Everybody else lays around 2 eggs every 3 days. So maybe we're seeing a "Nurture vs. Nature" experiment in my backyard?

Good luck in finding the perfect egg laying pet!

4. chickendales

chickendales Songster

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    i love my standard cochins they lay pretty good but they do go broody there freindlies bird ive ever had
    [​IMG]

5. 3chimama

3chimama Songster

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    My Barred Plymouth Rocks are so very friendly and lay wonderful eggs!

6. Patricia Jane

Patricia Jane Songster

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    I have barred rocks, leghorn, and columbian wyantdotte and I would have to say my barred rocks are really lap friendly and ley nice eggs. Leghorn is flighty and the wyandotte is suppose to be friendly but isnt. Not mean just won't get too close to you.

7. deserthens

deserthens Chirping

Feb 13, 2011
    Tucson, Arizona
    My Barred Rock is friendlier than my 2 Rhode Island Reds.

8. thesteven

thesteven Chirping

Apr 25, 2009
    thank you, i guess my only problem was getting pullets, were they have had time to grow without peoples interaction.. i have my roo already, and will neeed pretty heavy breeds, for my man, that kinda rules cochins out, and my gf wants one so bad.. i see another coop in the work, lol again keep em comming

9. chickendales

chickendales Songster

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:large fowel cochins are pretty big my roosters almost 3 ft tall

10. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

DELAWARES! Oh, sorry, I had to yell that! By far one of the friendliest pets (or pests). They want to be carried around, petted, and are always under foot. LOVE them! OH, and they are great layers of large eggs! GREAT layers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: