Best Chicks for Heat Hearty Backyard Flock?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Katieasaur, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Katieasaur

Katieasaur Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2012
    Southern California and it's heat play a huge part to my choosing of my chicks for my backyard flock. The must also be good egg layers as that is the whole point LOL

Please let me have some suggestions because I can currently get buff orpingtons, rhode island reds, and silver lace wyandottes and possible barred rocks (which I absolutely love but have heard that they can sometimes get pecky)

Please let me know what you think :D

2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Those breeds will be very good egg layers!

And when it gets hot, make sure you provide plenty of shade and LOTS of water.

If you're in the desert region, you can also freeze those gallon sized jugs of water and place the frozen jug inside the coop or in a shady location for the chickens to sit next to and cool off.

As summer approaches, there will be tons of threads here on cooling your chickens.

Good luck with your flock! [​IMG]

3. Katieasaur

Feb 2, 2012
    Thanks I think for docility I am going to go with the buff orpingtons. The worst part is that they are straight run and it is illegal to own cockerels where I live, so I will have to buy 5 and keep the pullets and sell the cockerels I guess. Unless of course someone has magic sexing skills lol

4. rosegal

rosegal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2008
    Tustin, CA
    IMHO, there are so many great choices for chickens here. While I love my buffs I have had, their broodiness is annoying and must be taken into consideration. I have about 40 breeds right now, and if you are close to Tustin you are welcome to come and take a look at all of them. My 'farm' is usually a field trip for chicken breeds. I do not have any RIRs...
    Why not look more closely at the wyandottes, marans and red sex links? I also have 33 babies in the garage full of cuteness and you can get a very good idea of their personalities.

5. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Also, you may decide you want a "colorful" egg basket, so you might want to consider getting some Easter Eggers and Black Copper Marans. [​IMG]

I have my Black Australorps, RIR's, and Barred Rocks for my serious egg layers and the Easter Eggers and Black Copper Marans for laying the "pretty" eggs.

And my Barred Rocks are the least friendly of the bunch, but my guineas love them and follow them everywhere like they're some sort of gods.

My guineas will even preen the feathers of the Barred Rocks.

6. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    The birds on your list are good breeds but more cold hardy than heat hardy.
    IMO if heat is really an issue go with breeds like Catalana, Cubalaya, Fayoumi, Buttercup, Leghorn and Ancona.
    Redcap is one english breed that can handle heat.
    Heat is the hardest thing on chickens and putting cold hardy breeds in that environment is tough on them.
    Mediterranean breeds are more heat hardy than American and English breeds.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  7. Katieasaur

Feb 2, 2012
    Dear Rosegal,

I would LOVE to come visit your chickens to see what I am really in for and what not lol I shall have to see when I have a chance to make it over there

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by