best choice for black hen

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by magpiesing, Feb 26, 2014.

1. magpiesing

magpiesing Chillin' With My Peeps

I've always thought that black hens are so beautiful with their purple or green plumage. I have 12 red hens but am thinking about getting some other birds. I like Plymouth rocks alot, but would really like a couple of black hens. What is the best choice for them? Can they all get along and will my golden rooster make funny looking chicks with them? Will he even mate with them?

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    Rocks come in many colors, to include black. Your rooster will mate with them, the offspring will be mixed breed.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Your best bet for a solid black bird is an Australorp. Good backyard birds, dependable layers, friendly.
    If you want a bit of color on your bird, black sex links are good. Again, great layers, good backyard birds.
    You could also look for something like a black copper Marans, to add some color to your egg basket. Those dark eggs are so pretty!

The Aussies and black sex links are going to be very common and easy to find, most feed stores that have chicks will have one or the other.
    Black copper marans are harder to find, I'm not sure if any hatchery has them or not.

Several other breeds do come in black, but they're less common and will be harder to find and more expensive.

1 person likes this.
  4. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    He will happily mate with them, although he may still have his favorites of his old wives.

I second Black Sexlinks as they are very pretty, productive and friendly.

If you got the Barred Plymouth Rock hens, you'd have your pretty barred hens, then hatch eggs from them and your roo (assuming he is pure) and you'd have your Black Sex Links too.

Lady of McCamley

5. cstronks

cstronks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    I second the australorp. Calm bird, excellent layer.

6. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    For Black birds I have Black Copper Marans and Black Olive Eggers(though these come in all colors) I enjoy them both.

7. xfishkillerx

xfishkillerx Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2013
    Cochen all the way!

8. magpiesing

magpiesing Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for all the suggestions. I looked up the Australorp and it is a gorgeorus bird. Definitly going for the barred rocks as my husband really likes them. Is it better to get them locally or order chicks? I worry about them getting here safely if I order them. Not going for breeding or show birds although we have two nice seabrites, just love chickens.

9. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Depends on how many you want...most hatcheries have a minimum chick order...the least being 15, the usual 25. Or, if they allow small orders, they charge a lot in shipping.

Personally, I just get the chicks at the feed store. They pay the shipping, take all the risk...I pick the healthiest chicks they've got at the time.

Pick Barreds that have small, distinct head dots, small yellow combs, black wash in front of legs....those should be your females...unless you want more roo's too.

Lady of McCamley

10. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    Nothing wrong with buying from a hatchery they have some great birds and great selections, but I like buying local personally, first it supports local farms and second less stress on the chicks.

Also chick days at TSC are starting up they may have both those breeds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by