Best choice of Pen bedding?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jackoeVogel23, Mar 25, 2017.

1. jackoeVogel23

jackoeVogel23 Just Hatched

Mar 25, 2017
    Hey everyone. Trying to keep up with our 2 ducklings can sometimes be tough, considering they are very messy with water. We are unsure what would be the best bedding to have in their pen that would stay clean and drier longer. We use the wood shavings you get at Tractor Supply. We decided to pick up a bale of hay to see if that would help keep the pen dry. We haven't used it yet. What do you think is better for the ducks? I want to avoid them possibly getting sick from a wet pen. Thanks!

2. Ducks4us

Ducks4us Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    I am going to use straw once mine come out of the brooder. It what i used in times past and seemed to work good.
    And once past the 6'week mark i dont plan on keeping any food and water with them overnight. That way the coop stays dry.
    I have seen people use the bottom of a plastic dog kennel as a base for the water to keep in contained and prevent their bedding from being soaked.
    But even without food and water at night i had to spot clean the straw each day.

3. jackoeVogel23

Mar 25, 2017
    Thank you! We are gonna try the straw and see how it works for our ducklings. We bought a bucket that hangs from the wall to see if that helps with the mess. They always seem to stumble into the water pans or just knock them over.

4. Ducks4us

Ducks4us Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    Oh thats a good idea! I will have to try that when mine get a little taller!

5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Hello....

Inside my Ducks house I used pine shavings....In my run I use river rocks that are smooth and sidewalk blocks...My pen is sloped so all the water runs out of the pen.....I used Straw this winter and it gets very stinky and wet..It rots quickly too....:(....I never use a pool in the run. About all a person can do is keep trying things and see what works for you?..;)

Enjoy them Ducks!..:)

Cheers!

6. jackoeVogel23

Mar 25, 2017
    Thank you!! Great tips! We were gonn put a pool in thier run but maybe we won't lol. Not sure if I should wve try the hay after researching more.

7. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    Hay seems like it would get moldy pretty quick, so I think its better if you steer clear of it ;)

8. jackoeVogel23

Mar 25, 2017
    Thanks! We put them in their putside pen for the forst time today. We put straw down becuase we didn't want it to go to waste. They seem to like it and so far it is pretty dry. It seems to be better than the wood chips but we are gonna give it a few days before we decide if we like it or not lol

1 person likes this.
  9. Waddlein

Waddlein Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2017
    Olympia, Washington
    By the way dont use straw in the brooder. the tiny ducklings trip over straw and it makes them misrable.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  10. Waddlein

Waddlein Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2017
    Olympia, Washington

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by