Best Christmas present ever - new update, 01/03/2012 - Daddy's gone

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Sjisty, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    My dad went into the hospital Saturday - he's 84 years old. He had a severe weakness and multiple falls. In the hospital they discovered a collapsed lung with fluid around it, so they needed to do a thorascopy. They said just putting in a chest tube wouldn't do the job. His PCP also said that HE WOULDN'T SURVIVE THE SURGERY!

The surgery was Tuesday, almost 7 hours long. He came through it well. Yesterday I visited him in the ICU. He was singing Christmas carols and quite chipper (his word when the nurse asked him how he was feeling - "I'm quite chipper") Obviously they made sure he was in no pain.

The surgeon said he cleared out the fluid and had to use a bovine patch on his lung to help stop the leakage. It's still leaking, but the doctor said as the lung healed and re-inflated the leaks should seal.

It looks like I get to keep my Dad a while longer! Merry Christmas and God bless us, everyone!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  2. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    Praise the Lord!!!! Blessings! Blessings! Blessings!!

3. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    God is so good!
    Glad to hear he is Chipper!
    Sounds like a man full of life.
    Merry Christmas!

4. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    He's the best. He's 84 years old and never been in a hospital until this year - he wasn't even born in a hospital! They kept asking about prior surgeries and hospitalizations and couldn't believe he has all his original parts, even his gallbladder!

5. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    Quote:Bless his heart! and yours too![​IMG]

6. Marcymom3

Marcymom3 Chillin' With My Peeps

What a beautiful Christmas miracle!! May you both continue to be blessed! God is so good!

7. mrkpero

mrkpero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Merry Christmas!!

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    [​IMG]

9. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Cracks me up how medical professionals are so surprised to see someone in their 80's who has no major health issues. They are like, 'how dare you live so long without medical care'! [​IMG]

Good for your Dad and good for you! I hope you have him for many more years! Merry Christmas!

10. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Glad to here your dad is feeling chipper! That's great news!
    Merry Christmas,
    Sharon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by