Best Cleaner for coop

pharmchickrnmom

Songster
9 Years
Apr 13, 2010
Pretty soon we will be parking the chicken tractor for the winter and I was wondering what to use to clean the inside with. I plan on sweeping/shoveling out all the litter that is currently in there, sweeping down the walls and ceilings and nest boxes and scrubbing it out good before putting in the de and litter. The floor is relatively clean as we used the deep litter method over the summer/fall and I am fastidious about keeping the litter turned and adding to it when necessary. The roost bar, however, needs a good scrub. What does everyone use that is safe for cleaning/disinfecting their coop? I have no issues with parasites of any kind, either internal or external. I will be using de in all the little spaces and on the floor and in the nest boxes just to be sure that one doesnt develop. I also use pine shavings. Any advice would be appreciated. My girls are clean, healthy and giving me eggs every day and I want to keep them that way over the winter. Thanks!

Honestly, plain old-fashioned water (warm is good, and you can add a leetle bit of dish detergent if you really feel you must use a Cleaning Product) and a bit of scrubbing is IMHO the very best and most effective thing. Also by far the most economical LOL

If there is crusty stuff stuck to the roost, soak an old rag or two, the length of the roost, in warm water and wring out til no longer dripping and lay it on the roost for an hour or so some morning. Then come in with a scraper of some sort, and you'll find it all comes off Real Good.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

I use pinesol just because it smells so nice. If the hens are going right back in , it would be nice to spray it with oxine just in case there are any viruses that we are not aware of lurking about. The Npip program suggest using clorox to clean it with ,then let it air out good. Gloria Jean

I learned something new today!
wee.gif

Our roosts in the coop are pretty yucky right now, and they're made with landscape timbers. I've been racking my brain trying to figure out how to get them clean. Never considered a soaking towel or two and was actually afraid of the pewp dust I'd be creating by just scraping them.

As for a cleaner, just about a tablespoon of bleach per gallon of water is what I use. Then let it dry thoroughly.

Back
Top Bottom