Best cold-weather bait?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by LAMchop, Jan 3, 2010.

1. LAMchop

LAMchop Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    SW VA
    I've been trying to trap a bunch of murderous possums over the past couple days so I can give them presents. No success.
    Its been reeeally cold here (teens and single digits, wicked wind), and my bait of choice (meat scraps) doesn't look very appetizing when you could cut glass with it.

Any suggestions for a live-trap bait that is appealing, even when frozen? I would love to get these varmints...

2. gkeesling

gkeesling Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Hagerstown, IN
    i've trapped 'possums in my live trap using dry cat food. I've also caught coons, stray cats, and one skunk as well. It just depended on what was wondering through my barn when I had the trap set I guess.

3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:Ditto.
    Everything that I've caught, I've caught it on dry cat food. Coons, possums and stray cats.

4. LAMchop

Nov 24, 2009
    SW VA
    The cat food is a great idea! Unfortunately, anytime I put small pieces of bait in the trap I swear I think mice crawl in and carry it away. I might give this a shot though, wrapped in a foil pouch, suspended or something. Many thanks!

5. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Try wrapping the trap with hardware cloth mesh to keep out the rats and mice.[​IMG]

6. skywatcher

skywatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Arlington,Indiana
    I use pork Bacon to catch about any meat eating critter.

7. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    Peanut Butter [​IMG]

8. LAMchop

Nov 24, 2009
    SW VA
    I never would have thought of wrapping the trap with hardware cloth! Not only will it keep the rodents out, but it would prevent the critters inside from excavating around the trap all night, leaving me with a trap full of clay... and no more smart-aleck raccoons that think they can eat the bait from outside the trap.
    BYC is truly a blessing! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by