Best Color of Silkie, Sebright, Modern Game Bantam, and Serama?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by DrinkTheRainbow, Jul 10, 2011.

1. DrinkTheRainbow

DrinkTheRainbow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Altoona, Wisconsin
    What do you think is the best looking color on them that is easy to get and well developed?

2. GotGame

GotGame Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    NE of OKC
    White silkies have been around the longest I believe, the same goes for brown red modern bantams, and sebrights only have 2 recognized colors, silver laced and gold laced. I dont believe buff laced are recognized in sebrights, but I could be mistaken. No one can say what the best looking color is, what some love, others cant stand. But white silkies and brown red moderns would probably be the easiest to find in good quality. Imo

3. DrinkTheRainbow

Jan 1, 2011
    Altoona, Wisconsin
    Thank you! Yeah I was thinking about the favoritism but that's okay:D

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    While white silkies have been around longest, it really is not that difficult to find good quality birds in all recognised varieties. I personally find whites the most difficult to keep clean, unstained and especially unsunburned.

5. NdaStix

NdaStix Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2011
    Chickens sunburn?

6. GotGame

GotGame Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    NE of OKC
    white feathers will, what they call 'sun brassed' meaning white feathers will turn a yellowish color if left in the sun for any extended period of time. I dont know if thats what they meant, but that is one other problem with white birds.

7. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    I don't think there is a best color for silkies. Blacks are good to have but they can have golden hackles. Whites are good too but hard to keep in good condition.

8. DrinkTheRainbow

Jan 1, 2011
    Altoona, Wisconsin
    I have a white silkie roo and he sometimes looks like he has yellow but whenever it rains afterwards he is white again lol probably just dirty!

9. Majestic Lane Poultry

Majestic Lane Poultry Heart Strings Animal Rehoming

Feb 9, 2009
    I agree with Sonoran. That's why I don't own white birds. I will also say...its hard to beat a white bird in the show ring.

10. DrinkTheRainbow

Jan 1, 2011
    Altoona, Wisconsin
    How? Is it because of the shade of white and the cleanliness?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by