Best Commercial feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by joe12345, Feb 18, 2012.

1. joe12345

joe12345 New Egg

Feb 18, 2012
    Hi, Im Joe.
    I am thinking about buying a couple of chickens and I wondered if anybody knew what the best chicken feed is?
    Should I buy corn or layered pellets?
    Please can you recommend the best commercial feed for me!
    Thankyou!

2. joe12345

joe12345 New Egg

Feb 18, 2012
    Sorry, I forgot to add that I live in the UK, England.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Corn is around 7-9% protein and is great as a component of the feed but they need more if you want healthy chickens. In the old days that is all they gave them as they free ranged and ate the cow's grain, etc.

But today folks recommend layer pellets as they are around 16% protein. You can give oyster shells on the side and some grit too (grit if they need to grind grass or wheat berries, etc.).

Layer pellets have added calcium for layers. It is mainly roasted soy, vitamins, and some other things like corn and wheat usually.

I feed a mix myself, and buy organic for chicks and treats. See my BYC page if interested. If you want to keep it simple I would recommend layer pellets with some oyster shell on the side. If they free range you don't need to give them grit (sharp gravel). If your chickens are chicks, they have chick starter/grower.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by