Best compairson chart

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by crooked stripe, Oct 25, 2008.

1. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    Is there a good place to compair breeds for identification? I have asked the question on breeds of these birds and get many different answers. A lot of breeds look the same to me being a novice.

[​IMG]

2. crooked stripe

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    [​IMG]

3. crooked stripe

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    [​IMG]

4. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I don't know if there's a comparison chart with pictures. I really like http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKPoultryPage.html#Chickens , and I can go through each breed individually to look at photographs. It's helped me a lot.

There is also Henderson's Poultry Breed Chart, I don't have a link to it, sorry. It's good with lots of information, not a lot of pictures.

Your pictures look like a buff orpington hen with barred rock babies (possibly one male and one female), a brown leghorn, a white crested black polish, and I'm not sure about the black one. You could start with those breed names at feathersite, and look at them for comparison.

5. mom4morecritters

mom4morecritters Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Northern Minnesota
    Do you have any other pics of the black one? Side view w/head up, and front view w/head up would help.

6. ChickaD

ChickaD Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    central Vermont
    Your all-black one looks like our black Australorps.

7. crooked stripe

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    Here is a picture of the black banty. There are 2 of them one with a short comb and one with a larger dark red comb. Now they are under the barn so I couldn't get another picture. I was also told the 2 barred ones where Marans, one male and one female. So confusing. John

[​IMG]

8. crooked stripe

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    The 2 black ones could be BA's as I have 2 but it has been almost a year since they where young. I can't remember.

9. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    The obvious difference between marans and barred rocks is leg color. Barred rocks have yellow legs, with some black on the front. Marans have white legs. Their barring is also not as crisp as barred rocks. I can't see the legs in those pictures, so I can't make a guess as to which one they would be.

10. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by