Best consistently broody meat/egg heritage breed?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by WhatIsChazaq, Apr 20, 2011.

1. WhatIsChazaq

WhatIsChazaq Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2010
    Norwood, MO
    Well...? Anyone?

Reds? Buffs? Barred Rocks?

Thanks folks!

I have three Barred Rocks, three Reds and one Buff...none have gone broody. I have one Silky Bantam that went broody...but she has kicked all the eggs but one out of her box. Dumb banty!

2. srsmith69

srsmith69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Oklahoma
  3. Heathero617

Heathero617 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Mosheim
    Well from what I've read, Silkies are one of the "broodiest" although my 1 and a half year old doesnt seem interested in sitting on any eggs at all. I've only had her wow almost 2 months now and i dont know when her last session was. So I can't tell you any more than what the super helpful breed chart tells you. I'm sorry to be of no help.

4. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    Al heritage breeds should be good layers, meat birds and some are more broody than others. I myself like Plymouth rocks and buckeyes. Orpingtons will go broody more. Then less eggs, too.
    You will get MANY different opinions. And don't go to a hatchery for your birds. They will not be of heritage quality and often do not produce to the original purpose of the breed.
    Good luck!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  5. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    Quote:Where did you get her?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  6. Heathero617

Heathero617 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Mosheim
    Quote:Where did you get her?

I got the pair of them from a kid who was in the 4H club. They were handled but wont allow me to handle them although they are getting more and more comfortable with me every day.

7. milleryardchx

milleryardchx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Washington State
    My Orpington is the broodiest thing I have ever owned! she went broody the first time at 5 months old before she ever layed and egg. She is a very big girl would be good for a meat bird when she isn't broody she lays nice brown eggs about 5 a week. My Partridge Rocks are my favorite heritage breed; they are nice size birds! Lay a ton of eggs I have 12 hens I get between 10 to 16 eggs a day. They are 7 months old been laying for 2 months no one has gone broody yet. Delawares are great for meat and eggs i don't know about broodiness though.

8. Jayers

Jayers Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2008
    NE Illinois
  9. WhatIsChazaq

WhatIsChazaq Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2010
    Norwood, MO
    Excellent charts and info, thanks a ton.

Might be Buffs I go with. I was hoping to expand the flock this spring/summer from our own without having to baby them - looks like that ain't happening with these girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by