Best container for homemade nipple waterers?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by shananafish, Jul 24, 2011.

1. shananafish

shananafish New Egg

Jul 1, 2011
    I bought 5 nipples and the requisite tools for making my own waterer. The only thing I need is the container. If you have any suggestions for container/set-up I would greatly appreciate it!

I have 4 pullets.

(Don't want to do anything too fancy with pipes, etc-- just finished building the coop and am ready to be done making stuff!!)

Thanks!

2. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Home Depot has nice white 2 gallon buckets with lids...

[​IMG]

3. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    PVC Pipe.

4. shananafish

shananafish New Egg

Jul 1, 2011
    Those 2-gallon buckets look good, thanks. I thought the normal 5-gallon would be a little too big.

5. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Quote:That was our thing as well since a 5 gallon weighs so much, but I have seen some here come up with some excellent stands etc. for 5 gallon. We have 4 nipples per 2 gallon bucket with 2 per pen / run area.

6. pokey

pokey Warrior Princess

Jun 1, 2008
    upstate
    We have 3 gallon buckets at work.they are the perfect size for me.not too heavy when full but enough to carry the birds a few days.also we cover the pen in winter, I thought it would freeze,we got 8 inches of snow but the water did not freeze.I cut a hole in the lid so I only have to move it when its low and I rinse it out.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  7. Amethyste

Amethyste For Love of Boo...

We just got a 5 gallon bucket and lid from Lowe's to use with the nipples and it works just fine.

8. SmokinChick

SmokinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Kingsville, MD
    I use a Home Depot bucket, but the lid I have is a "Gamma" screw on. Found it on Amazon and a emergency preparedness site. It has an outer ring that you install onto the bucket then the center screws on and off. No more busted fingers ripping open the snap lids.
    They make several sizes
    [​IMG]

9. shananafish

shananafish New Egg

Jul 1, 2011
    Oh I like that screw-on lid idea, thanks!

10. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    I really like the look of your waterer SmokinChick

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by