1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

best coop floor?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jeffery57, Mar 23, 2011.

1. jeffery57

jeffery57 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2011
    New Ross, IN
    My coop (converted shed) has a loose gravel/dirt floor. Will that work ok? also, what is the "deep litter method" ? and what is best to use as litter? Thanks.

2. Bi0s

Bi0s Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    Bland County VA!!!!!
    well it will work but everybody has what they like best for a floor realy.. i have a dirt floor in mine and like it so

3. kittycooks

kittycooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sand works great for easy clean up as it semi-dries out the litter (poop) and makes it easy to scoop up. Your profile doesn't say where you are. Will mud be a problem during spring or rainy weather?

It is very hard to clean litter out of gravel and you will likely have an odor issue as it builds up.

The deep litter method is where you put down several inches of wood chips or straw over the floor. As the birds scratch around the material breaks down and the litter sinters to the bottom. You then add more on top to keep the birds dry and elevated above the litter. Depending on your area and material chosen, you muck out the whole works on a quarterly, bi-yearly or yearly basis and start fresh.

Here in Minnesota we use straw during the winter for warmth, but it gets moldy if wet. Wood chips are a better choice in warm or wet climates.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by