Best Cream Colored Egg Layer?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ErinG, Nov 28, 2010.

1. ErinG

ErinG Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I am planning for the spring - I can't wait for babies!! I would love a beautiful cream colored egg. It sounds like it all depends on the individual chicken, but which breeds are known to lay cream colored eggs? I am looking for a docile, relatively easy to find breed. I want a rainbow of eggs!

2. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    Salmon Favorelle lay a "tinted egg" aka a nice cream colored egg. I crossed a white leghorn and jersey giant (so white layer x brown layer) and ended up with some great cream colored eggs from the girls.

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Golden/Red Sexlinks are a VERY common, easy to find, and often sweet variety that lay a LOT of cream/tinted eggs.

Otherwise, some more rare breeds (but worth the search) are such like Jersey Giants, Faverolles, Brahmas, etc. They're all very docile and good egg layers too.

4. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    My red sex-links lay brown. Maybe it depends on the strain?

5. egg proof

egg proof Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2010
    I have 2 EE's. One lays green eggs and the other lays a very light tan egg, almost white. [​IMG]

6. Barry Natchitoches

Barry Natchitoches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Tennessee
    I have two young ladies born right here at my place.

Their father is a green egged, hatchery EE. Their mother is a cream colored egg laying Barred Rock.

Both of these gals are pretty much solid black hens, though one has a bit of a green tint to her black feathers, and the other has a silvery tint to her black feathers.

They both are pretty good layers of nice, cream colored eggs. At one year old, their eggs are around 2 ounces each ("large" by USDA standards).

They lay probably around 4 eggs a week. I'm not sure because they live in a group of 13 hens, many of whom are cream colored egg layers.

BTW, these two girls a half sister who shares the same father, but whose mother is a buff orpington -- making this young lady half EE/half buff oprington. This little girl is mostly gold, but with beautiful darker tan highlights. She lays a medium sized egg (about 1 7/8 oz), which is a green egg that sometimes has very small brown spots on them. She lays about 3 times a week.

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I have turkens, speckled sussex and salmon faverolles. All lay tinted eggs. This is making it a chore to figure out who my new layers in the juvenile coop are. [​IMG]

8. ErinG

ErinG Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Thanks! I think I am going to get a Speckled Sussex, some EEs, and a Jersey Giant. We have a brahma that hasn't laid yet, so maybe she will give me creamy eggs!

9. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    My Jersey Giant hen lays a nice relatively dark brown egg........not chocolate like my chocolate layers, but darker than all my other brown eggers.

My red sex-links gave me light brown eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by