best days to candle

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by farrier!, Apr 20, 2009.

1. farrier!

farrier! Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    I have read it but lost the posts. What days are the best to candle and where is the post(s) that showed so nicely what to look for?
    Thanks! (totally hooked on hatching)
    [​IMG]

2. mwdh1

mwdh1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Indiana
    Don't quote me on this, but I believe it is day 10 and day 17, but hopefully someone else will step in and verify that for you

3. farrier!

Feb 28, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    10!!![​IMG]

I have to wait... [​IMG]

4. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Some say to candle on day 7 & 14. I have been incubating eggs for over 50 years and candle the day they go in the incubator and on day 18 when I stop turning them. If I have an egg the smells I will candle until I find the bad egg. Think of it this way, when I was incubating 5000 eggs at a time. How could I candle the eggs. Do you think at the companies that hatch eggs for large egg producing farm candle all those eggs? No when day 22 comes around they take the chicks out, clean the incubator and put more eggs in.

5. farrier!

Feb 28, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    [​IMG]

Yes.....but candling is fun.... [​IMG]

6. azelgin

azelgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    Quote:I like to use that timetable, too. By day 10, you can definatly tell what's going on and dump the clears. By 17, the quitters can usually be picked out. I still leave in the doubtful ones. Nothing's going to happen to them by day 22 (blow up), even if they are duds.

7. Majestic Lane Poultry

Majestic Lane Poultry Heart Strings Animal Rehoming

Feb 9, 2009
    I have an egg-lume high intensity cool light. Sometimes I candle every other day. Cause I like to. With eggs under a broody, I candle on day 18 and toss what needs tossed. That way she doesn't stay on eggs that have no chance.

8. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I prefer days 7 or 10 for first candling and then a recheck on day 14 to make sure all looks good prior to going to hatch.

9. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    Quote:I like to use that timetable, too. By day 10, you can definatly tell what's going on and dump the clears. By 17, the quitters can usually be picked out. I still leave in the doubtful ones. Nothing's going to happen to them by day 22 (blow up), even if they are duds.

By "clears" I'm taking it that you mean unfertile eggs and eggs that the embryo quit very early on. Correct?

If the above is correct, does this mean that if you can throw out the bad eggs at day 10 that even if you have a quitter a day or so later that that egg will not blow up by day 22?

Needless to say, as a newbie I have a fear of an egg blowing up and would love to avoid it.[​IMG]

Ed

10. azelgin

azelgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    Quote:The first time I incubated, I was overly cautious. I threw out the totaly clear and anything that I wasn't absolutely positvely sure was developing. On day 17, I threw out some more. After opening them up, I realized I had made a mistake on a couple, that probably would have been OK. Now, on day 10, I only toss the totally clear ones that light up like a neon bulb. On the day they come off the turner, If I'm positive about a possible blood ring, out it goes. If they look about the same as they did on day 10, out they go. I've opened up quitters that probably hadn't made it past day 13, or 14 , after the hatch was done, and they were nowhere near ready to explode. Maybe , others have had problems, but I don't worry about it anymore.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by