Best Designs for coops and breeder pens?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by gypc84, Jul 26, 2016.

1. gypc84

gypc84 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2016
    Hello all,

We are just getting started raising birds for show. We currently have australopes in a large penned area that we use just for egg production. However I am wanting to start showing and would like to raise a few different breeds. I want to trade my lorpes for Jersey Giants so we can have a better butcher bird, we also have swedish flower hens, cemanis and I would like to add barnvelders. I just am not sure how to best lay out our coop and breeder pens. We have 40 acres total, there is about 5 acres around our house that I would like to use for the birds. I've raised horses and goats, but chickens are a whole new world. So I'm wanting to know how many pens I need and for what, how many roosters of each breed do I need to keep to prevent inbreeding and I'm sure there is a lot more that I need to know and maybe this isn't the best place to put this but I'm not sure where else to ask. Right now we have a pair of cemani, I'm not certain I want to raise them based on what I've found to be a lot of arguing about what the SOP is supposed to be, we have a trio of sweedish flower hens, and will be a getting a pair of jersey giants. Where do I go from here?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by