Best Diet for Recovering hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MrRadio915, Nov 13, 2011.

1. MrRadio915

MrRadio915 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2011
    Some of y'all have been following the other post of Hen recovering from Dog Bite .

Well, she's not out of the woods yet, but all indication is that she's heading in the right direction, and needs time to heal.

We've allowed her out (supervised, of course) a few times, and want to help her heal by giving her the best diet possible.

Right now, she's getting about a dozen meal worms a day, and has a bowl of course-ground feed (various grains, seeds, etc) that the other birds get - only she gets it "pre-chewed" to help her injured crop.

She's also getting Polyvisol morning and evening (Three or so drops each time).

Today, we introduced chopped raw spinach, and SHE LOVED IT. There's more of that to come.

What else can we give her to help her gain back some of the body weight she's lost?

Any Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    Plain yogurts that have probiotics and cooked/scrambled eggs [​IMG]

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I agree, definitely a source of probiotic, especially if she had an antibiotic. Mostly I'd stay with regular feed, supplemented with some good quality treats such as have already been mentioned. I mostly use scrambled egg and BOSS.

4. MrRadio915

Nov 5, 2011
    Great reminder. We'll do scrambled eggs, and we did yogurt for the first two weeks, but she REALLY protests the yogurt now that she's feeling stronger.

It's a struggle to get the vitamins into her. She puts up a good fight if we try to put ANYTHING in via dropper or syringe.

May I ask what BOSS is? A quick google search yielded no relevant results.

Thanks for your replies!

5. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    If you put the drops of vitamins on a little piece of bread, I bet she will eat it right up. BOSS is black oil sunflower seed, but if she has an injured crop, it might be too scratchy right now.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    A slurry of scrambled egg mixed with buttermilk is best. Yogurt is good but tends to pass through them. Buttermilk coats everything it comes in contact with internally and is easily absorbed as a probiotic.

7. Chicky-dees

Chicky-dees Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    I don't know how damaged her crop is, but we always put sick animals back to a high-protein diet when they are sick or recovering from injury - dogs, cats, parrots, chickens, even reptiles! So I have to suggest a poultry grower ration (what you'd feed newborn chicks for the first few weeks) with a probiotic everyday during the antibiotic treatment and up to a week after you stop the antibiotics. Eggs are a great source of protein of course, but also add a vitamin and mineral supplement. Remember that your vitas and minerals all work with the protein so that it can be absorbed and utilized by the bird - you don't want any of your efforts to go to waste. I love that you are offering fresh greens! Can't get enough of those - loaded with C and D. So in addition to what you are doing already, I would add the poultry starter/grower crumbles, add liquid to soften, and make a mash. That's what I feed to sick birds at my clinic. Will she eat cooked sweet potato?

Good luck!

8. MrRadio915

Nov 5, 2011
    I may have been a little hasty in trying to get her to eat and "bulk up."

Today, she seems very uncomfortable with the size of her crop, and is trying to adjust it. It doesn't seem to be able to process as much as she's eaten. She's also not drinking enough... we think.

When I am able to get water into her, her digestive system "growls", I'm backing off the "real" food a bit.

THIS IS SO TOUGH to know what to do.

I appreciate your support.

-Dan

9. MrRadio915

Nov 5, 2011
    Started eggs and buttermilk a few days ago. COULDN'T believe my eyes. Didn't think it was possible, but she nearly LICKS the bowl clean.

Stronger every day.

Still hoping and praying for the wounds to heal. No infection, but these are big wounds that are healing.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

10. chicken08

chicken08 New Egg

Feb 18, 2016
    My hen is having a difficult time with molting she is crabby any suggestions ? She stays in the coop all fluffed up . I bring her food she eats it if other hens get near her she yells at them and runs out of the coop. She is eating a drinking I just feel sorry for her and all the moodiness . I guess because I'm going through the change myself I sympathize with the mood swing . Any suggestions for diet help ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by