Best Dog Backpack?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by sunny & the 5 egg layers, Nov 27, 2011.

1. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    I am interested in purchasing a nice backpack for my dog. I want it to have big enough pockets for her to carry her own water, food, toys ect. on walks and such. I want to make sure that it is a comfortable one for her. She is a 45lb border collie if that helps any.

Here are a couple that I have found so far:

[​IMG]
    More information can be found here: http://www.petco.com/product/109984/Bison-Pet-Scamper-Dog-Pack.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch

[​IMG]
    More information can be found here: http://www.petco.com/product/111504/ABO-Gear-Aussie-Naturals-Dog-Backpack.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch

I
    like the looks of the second one. But I am not sure if you can go wrong with these and if their is a certain style that may be better? On the first one, there isn't a strap that goes around her chest and it kind of makes me wonder if it will stay on her as good?

Thanks for all and any input. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  2. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I like the "style" of the first one as far as color, etc. But I'm with you and think that the chest strap may serve a good purpose.

I want to get one for Tucker (my cavachon) But the ones that are "correct" for his weight etc, have tiny pockets.

OK after reading the descriptions and the reviews - it sounds like the red one is better. Even though it doesn't show a strap - it says its attached to a harness?

3. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    I wouldn't go with either of those packs personally. There needs to be some sort of chest strap, whether it is a strap that just goes across the front of the chest or a y-shaped strap like you would see on a harness, to keep the pack from sliding back. This is especially important if you are going to be packing where there are any hills. The second one is either a very poor design or very poorly fitted to that dog. A backpack needs to be over the dog's shoulders, the second pack pictured is way way to far back on the dog's back. It might be ok to hold empty poop bags, a spare leash, and a few treats, but if you did any serious packing with it your dog would be very uncomfortable at the least and could even injure his/her back at worst. Poor design aside, neither of those packs look like they will last more than a year or two.

I have wolfpack packs for both of my dogs and am really happy with them. A friend has a Kelty for her dog and it went well, although Kelty seems to have really cut back on their dog products and I couldn't even find them on their website. I've also known some serious backpackers who were happy with Ruff Wear. I have never used their packs, but I do have a pair of boots from them and have seen their doggie floatation devices at work and I can attest that their dog products are very high quality and really worth the money. I've also heard good things about REI dog packs. I haven't heard anything about Granite Gear dog packs, but I would imagine a company voted Editor's Choice for Backpacker should know a thing or two about building durable packs and the designs look appropriate for dogs.

ETA; after looking at the company website for the first pack (http://www.bisondesigns.com/node/84) that would definitely be the better of the two. It looks like it might be an ok backpack, but having never seen it in person or known anyone who has used them (or even ever heard of them before) I can't really say with any certainty that it would be a good pack or not. For that price, I'd be inclined to stick with one of the more well known brands that are not much more expensive but that I know for sure will last.

4. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    There are some outdoor supply stores, like Cabelas, that sell dog backpacks and also allow dogs inside. Why is this great? You can take your dog (if well mannered in public) and try the different packs on right in the store. I haven't done it personally, but I have seen others who have. I forget the brand of dog bag I used for my dog (who sadly died young at age six, so I sold it). The straps were of mesh webbing and very breathable, flexible, with no rubbing. When you do get a pack, make sure to work up your pup to her max weight. Start with it empty and reward for good behavior, make it a super happy and positive experience, and before you know it, your girl will be excited every time she sees it.

5. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Thank you guys so much! I am going to go with the ruffwear pack. This website (Cabela) has a nice deal on the pack.
    Thanks for all your input guys!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by