1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Best Dog

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Mikeeeeeeeeee, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Mikeeeeeeeeee

Mikeeeeeeeeee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2007
    Wetumpka
    My little beagle mix has probably another 2-3 years of quality life.
    She is a fantastic dog and guards the birds pretty good.

But looking to the future, I want to choose wisely on my next one.
    What is the best for chickens?
    I really want a shepherd like an aussie, or a blue heeler.

2. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Quote:I LOVE MY HEELER! Teach them respect around your birds at a young age, give them a job to do, and make sure they know you are the boss and you will have a great dog!

3. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    I have an Aussie, and hes great with the birds and all the animals. He a great guard dog. [​IMG]

4. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    For every dog of a certain breed someone says is great with their chickens someone else will say theirs is horrible. It depends more on how you raise and train the dog and it's individual personality. Whether they are known to get along with other animals is actually one of the last things I look at despite having tons of pets and animals around because every dog we've ever raised ourselves from a puppy got along wonderfully with the animals irregardless of breed.

5. Mikeeeeeeeeee

Mikeeeeeeeeee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2007
    Wetumpka
    Here is my current dog. Daisy the wonder dog.
    She is just a beagle mix pound mutt, but smart as a whip and sweet as can be. But she really is a good watchdog.

[​IMG]

6. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    this one is jus read my post over in predators section about danes and the flock[​IMG]
    im 6'4"

7. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    The best dog I have every owned was a rat terrier, but there are a few people on here that would disagree......

I agree with Buster..... blue heeler's are awesome dogs.

8. addiedunn

addiedunn Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    Quote:he's awesome, Mikeeee. Do a dog a favor and rescue one. You'll feel good about it.

9. duck&chickencrazy

duck&chickencrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2008
    Indiana
    I would have to say my dog Roger is pretty AWESOME when it comes to the birds. He loves to be down by there coop. I think he likes protecting them. Like right now he is down there curled up in front of their coop door for no reason at all. He likes to sleep near them. He likes to go in the coop and rest with them when i leave all the doors open...he is awesome....O ya and he is a mutt...german shepherd/chow chow mix....he is very pretty to. Mutts do make the best of pets. I recomend a youg puppy as they are easier to train when they are younger. But older dogs are good to because Roger had never seen birds before i got them and he was 5 when i got them. They just need the proper training.

10. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Our Aussie has been a wonderful flock protector! We adopted her at 1 and a half years old and got our day-old chicks in May '07, when she was 6 years old. It was her first time around chickens and I told her it was her job to protect the birds. She does a great job at it!

Pepper on the day we moved the chicks outdoors in '07:

[​IMG]

She gets excited whenever I fire up the incubator to do some hatching and the minute the eggs start peeping, she lets me know what's going on!

Pepper watching over more peepers:

[​IMG]

We've been discussing the idea of getting her a puppy to raise and help teach "the ropes to", since she's getting older. We were fortunate and never had to train Pepper, so to speak.

Dawn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by