1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Best dual purpose chicken(s)?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by monarc23, Dec 17, 2008.

1. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Kay, I don't post in the meat birds section often because I right now only raise quails. However, in the spring I plan to get several breeds of chickens and I am curious what breed or breeds are ideal for both meat and egg production?

The eggs and meat don't have to be big, medium eggs are fine, and I doubt I'll eat many of the chickens, but just incase I'm curious what breeds are great for dual purpose of eggs and meat.

Thanks for any oppinons! [​IMG]

Niki

2. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    I got the Dorkings and Brahmas as dual purpose. So far so good, but nothing beats a good cornish x. [​IMG]

3. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    Plymouth Barred Rocks are a good all around bird plus the hens don't go broody much. Buff Orpingtons are good also but tend to go broody at the drop of a hat. If you just want eggs and meat I would go with the Barred Rocks and if you want to raise your own chicks the Buffs. Australorps are a good bird to and are broody.

4. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I'd just get a breed you enjoy looking at. You can produce crops of broilers in 8-10 weeks and send them to the freezer. You don't have to worry about running simultaneous flocks and feeding programs.

5. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Thanks for the thoughts and oppinons guys! I had been thinking about buffs, and I really dont mind broodieness as long as they dont all go broodie [​IMG] lol. So I think I'll go with buff orphs!!!

I have thought about getting broilers and I may still, however our freezer is tiny...I really need to invest in a chest freezer and be done with it! [​IMG]

6. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    You'll be very surprised how quickly you'll go through 25 broilers, especially after your friends have a taste.

There really is a lot of overlap in the chicken breeds. In the end, just pick one you enjoy looking at. They're all largely equivelant.

7. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Niki, I feel like I'm interloping here but with a "dual purpose" question, felt I might get away with it [​IMG].

That's the route I've pretty much set for myself, also.

My Light Brahmas were soooo slow growing. I like their personalities but "you can only go so far on personality" - it's a good thing they are likable and extra hardy.

You'd think you couldn't go wrong with Plymouth Rocks and I've got one now that's built like a little block. She's a good layer, too. But, I had quite a bunch of Barred Rocks once and they all were just a little on the "scrawny" side. It may have been a hatchery thing . . . Still, I think as a general rule, you couldn't go too wrong with Rocks.

My Orps were somethin' . . . quietest, most peace-loving flock I ever had but egg production . . . something a little more now than then, was about it. I can understand why people like 'em, however.

I'm very inclined to agree with Greyfields - there's overlap. But, I've been pleased with Australorps for all sorts of reasons. And yet, I'd imagine that most people would think they are a little less "dual" than lots of other choices.

Steve
    Edited to say: At times, I've been a little "Coturnix obsessed," myself [​IMG].

Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
  8. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Greyfields, I'll second that! I'm scrounging trying to find chicken in the freezer now! [​IMG] And we did over 50 birds this summer!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
  9. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Steve, thanks for your experiences, I deffinatly think what you had to say fit in perfectly with my post! [​IMG]

as for broilers

I am just afraid ha ha! I guess I could sell excess but I'm tellin ya our freezer is itty! LOL! It's one of those fridges that it's vertical freezer/fridge it's nice n' all but I bet I could only fit at the most 8 birds in there. [​IMG]

I do enjoy supplimenting my pets diet with raw, so I guess my dogs and cats could enjoy some of the birds for a few days, oh i dont know! Either way I want broilers but im sure I'll be raising way more than my freezer can occupy lol!

Niki

10. FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Efland, NC
    My mom had Rhode Island Reds--she got a couple dozen cockerels a year to put in the freezer and and a dozen or so layers. My current crop of Reds is layers only--the only ones I've butchered have been crosses between my RIR hens and my roosters (a white Leghorn who has been sent to Freezer Camp and the current Black Rock). I'm thinking about getting some more in the spring though.

Erika

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by