Best duck breed for eating?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kaumlauf, Nov 1, 2013.

1. kaumlauf

kaumlauf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2010
    Cambridge Springs, PA
    Hello duck people...
    We had our ducks butchered by our willing Amish neighbors, (a service I very much appreciate) and enjoyed the meat. Some is still in the freezer. We had butchered young (10 wk) pekin /swede crosses, and 4 month old mallards.The older Mallards (males) were a little gamey, but the younger ducks were milder. Is there a "Best for Meat" duck out there? And is there a best age to slaughter?
    We don't care as much about the egg laying...as we only eat a few.

We roasted them over charcoal on the bar b que. I really liked the smokeyness.
    Even though we overcooked them, they were still moist.
    Many thanks, Kat

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I've never raised any ducks myself, but from what I've read, Pekin ducks, or Pekin/Muscovy crosses are the best for meat. I'm not sure what age is best to slaughter them at.

3. kaumlauf

Nov 2, 2010
    Cambridge Springs, PA
    thank you!

4. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    Pekins are great for meat as they are fast growers and get large (dress out to anywhere from 6 to 10 pounds). They do tend to be fatty/oily though. Some people process these around 12-16 weeks

Muscovy are another breed that are excellent for meat. They are slower growing than the pekins, but less fatty and more flavor. A lot of people buy them from me as they say they taste the best out of all duck breeds.
    The males are larger than females, dressing around 8-15 pounds each. Females are smaller and dress closer to 5-7 pounds. I would process these around 4-6 months

5. kaumlauf

Nov 2, 2010
    Cambridge Springs, PA
    Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by